question

cajanus avatar image
cajanus asked

Feature Request: A NEVER, EVER CHARGE FROM THE GRID flag, please.

Hi,

I have a single-phase MultiPlus Compact 24/2000/50 which is AC-coupled to a 2kW Fronius MPPT.

After a cloudy day, the charger will kick in at sunset to top-up batteries from the grid. Or a cloud will come over during Absorption and charger will start importing power to continue Absorption during the day. [More than the 1A I have set as AC current input limit - why?]

I NEVER want my batteries charged from the grid - far too inefficient!

I looked at the Charge Control Assistant but it doesn't seem to be the solution.

Please can we have a flag to disable charging from the grid under any circumstances?

Cheers,

Mark

battery chargingfeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Use ve config and untick "enable charger" on the charger panel.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cajanus avatar image cajanus commented ·
Thanks Derrick. Yes, I am currently forced to do that, but I hope there's a solution which doesn't require my daily/hourly intervention, allowing PV recharging only.
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Believe this is already possible. Take a look at the Virtual Switch options with VEConfigure..
You can ignore the gird... with some conditions.
This is very powerful.

Enjoy.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Rob. I had a look. Enabling VS seems to disable all Assistants? I'm using a self-consumption Assistant to export excess PV power to the grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Yes you are correct. You can either use vs, or assistants, but not both at the same time. Do you have a cerbo? You may be able to do something with os large and node red.

3 comments
2 |3000

No, Derrick, I have no other blue boxes and don't want to increase the complexity, base power load and heat production of the system and lower its reliability. Hoping for a MultiPlus software solution if simple and possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ cajanus commented ·
So confirm you are running a fronius on a victron with no GX device? Or at least that is the impression you are givving here. There will be no proper system control then.

The two options are AC ignore using the generator assistant. Or disable the charger internally.

If you had a GX many more options become available.

0 Likes 0 ·
cajanus avatar image cajanus Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your reply, Alexandra. No, no GX, no ESS.

I read the Generator Assistant guide. It recommends the Self-consumption Hub-2 v3 Assistant in my case, which I am using.

I don't understand your "There will be no proper system control then."

Normally, in Bulk, the MultiPlus (or the Self-consumption Assistant?) limits the charge current to the PV power available. It seems to be only at sunset after a cloudy day when Bulk didn't finish, or when a cloud comes over during Absorption¹ that it decides to allow extra power in from the grid for charging. So it obviously has the necessary data and circuitry to disable charging from the grid. I'm requesting a new flag and some code to clarify when it imports power for charging. But I don't hold out much hope for adding a probably-not-much-used feature.

1) I noticed this for the first time today. I had always assumed that Absorption behaved like Bulk and limited charge current to PV power available.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.