question

gregferro avatar image
gregferro asked

Smart BMS CL 12V 100A with third party battery ?

My Renogy DC-DC battery charger (from alternator) has blown and I would like to replace it with Victron VE compatible devices. As best I can tell the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A would be a good choice but the manual states it is specifically designed for Victron BMS.

I have a Victron SmartShunt and Battery Monitor on the VE.bus to monitor battery performance.

Can I use the Victron Smart BMS with a non-Victron battery ?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

No, it is for victron batteries only.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gregferro avatar image
gregferro answered ·

I have a Victron SmartShunt and Battery Monitor on the VE.bus montoring the batteries - does this change antying ?

8 comments
2 |3000

If it's just a matter of using current limiting, which is what the BMS does, then yes - you'll have to trick the BMS by connecting a BTV cable to the M8 connectors. But this is basically fooling the BMS; The Load and Charge Disconnect output no longer works and with it there is no battery protection. It is neither recommended nor supported.

1 Like 1 ·
gregferro avatar image gregferro Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Could you confirm what a BTV cable is please ? I think I know but better to know for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ gregferro commented ·

It's the communication cable between a Victron Lithium Battery Smart and a BMS. Each battery has such a cable pair. There are extension cables available. See: https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/m8-circular-connector-male-female-3-pole-cable-2m

0 Likes 0 ·
ers avatar image ers Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
hi Stefanie, i need this too. I just need the current limiting functionality of this bms nothing else from it. could you clarify if this bms will work and limit the current from the alternator if the btv cable you mentioned is connected to the m8 connectors but not to a battery bus or anything else ?
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

What do you need the Smart BMS CL 12V 100 to do?

0 Likes 0 ·
gregferro avatar image gregferro klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I would like to have a Victron solution for charging batteries from my diesel engine.

My system is SmartSolar MMPT 150/85, Mulitplus 3000, Smartshunt and Smart Battery Monitor on the VE.bus. Two 250AH LiFePo third party batteries.

Hope thats enough info, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ gregferro commented ·

@gregferro @Stefanie Stefanie has nailed it. Without ATD, ATC and pre alarm signals from within the Victron batteries, the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A is a pretty blue paperweight.

Maybe there are other products that could achieve B2B charging?

1 Like 1 ·
gregferro avatar image gregferro klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I can purchase a replacement Renogy unit, but was hoping to find something that works with the VE app for ease of monitoring and visibility.

0 Likes 0 ·