question

drewbru avatar image
drewbru asked

BMV 700 firmware update fail?

I tried to use Victron Connect via my Samsung phone to get some data and it started to update the firmware. Now my monitor reads bL 102 and no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling the app will fix the situation. It's completely stuck. I've also tried with Windows laptop app but it can't find the device, even though it's paired with my laptop.

This monitor is basically useless now. I can't even manually restore the monitor with the buttons. How can I update the firmware? So frustrating.

firmware update
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iain-lewis avatar image iain-lewis commented ·

I am facing the same challenge.

Today I installed the latest version of victron connect and it outlined I needed to update to firmware version 3.10. The install failed (with %'s going up and down) and resulted in error 31. Now the battery monitor displays bl1.02.

Could you please outline how I resulve this issue that has clearly been caused by the victron connect app?

As an FYI I am running Windows 10 and the battery monitor is connected directly via the victron USB cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ iain-lewis commented ·

Hi @Iain Lewis, sorry to hear that.

I'll send you an email via support. thanks, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
phurstone avatar image phurstone mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I am using an iPhone with the app and it won't identify the BMV-700. I can't update the firmware if I can't connect. Any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @drewbru & @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff), let me help:

We had a bug in VictronConnect over the last couple of days.

Could you please update VictronConnect to the today released version, v5.6, and then try again?

I’d be extremely surprised if that BMV is bricked.

It is also possible to update it over a cable, but, assuming you don’t have that; lets first make it work like this.

Let me know if it helped, if not, I’ll make a support case and will help put everything to work.

Change log:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drewbru avatar image drewbru commented ·

Worked like a charm, Thanks! Just to note, when I installed the firmware 3.10 it went to 73%, then back to 6%, then to 65% then back to 6% then went to 100%.

All is well. I really appreciate you straightening this out so quickly.

0 Likes 0 ·
mangata avatar image mangata commented ·

Hi! I'm having the same issue. I had an alarm last night and this morning when I went to check my system, it told me it needed to be updated, not able to do so, not able to use the link you provide and still I'm having this message and nothing work anymore...

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I completely understand the frustration, I have been there myself. There is progress underway to de-couple requiring firmware updates from the other data reading functions of the app.

The good news is your BMV is fine, and recoverable.

The bad news is you may need another phone, preferably an iPhone or iPad, OR USB to VE.Direct cable.

Unfortunately the Windows App of VictronConnect is not bluetooth compatible.

Please read more troubleshooting steps here, and compatibility notes. But the quickest pathway out is usually to find a friend or relative with an iPhone to do the firmware update, and then you can continue to use your Samsung phone from then on.

3 comments
2 |3000

drewbru avatar image drewbru commented ·

Good news, I've been able to connect to the BMV with my wife's iPhone. Bad news, it made no difference. Still shows no information (0% SOC, no voltage, etc) on the app, and same bL 102 error message on the display monitor.

Is there a way to reinstall the firmware? I've tried in the Settings>Product Info menu to no avail. It's just a blank Firmware Library page. I also tried to Reset To Factory Defaults and it doesn't change anything, I've tried unplugging the power to the monitor for more than and hour and this made no difference. This was working fine this morning and after I installed the firmware it no longer works. Please tell me how to recover the BMV.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ drewbru commented ·

If the automatic firmware update on the iPhone didn't fix it, please check through these other questions and answers for the same fault code:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/3009/doa-bmv-700-flashes-backlighting.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4678/bmv-700-backlight-flashing-error-bl-102.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4922/bmv-712-firmware-issue.html

Please read those answers, and attempt their fixes.

I will see if there is any more I can do at this end. Also please report back if the problem is corrected somehow.

0 Likes 0 ·
drewbru avatar image drewbru Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I have an old monitor of the same model (BMV 700) that I had replaced with this one due to it giving me some questionable readings. I changed out the cable (as suggested in one of your links) and it made no difference....didn't fix the bL 102 error message on the display.

The old monitor, when plugged it, seems to show correct readings. Thankfully I kept it! Of course, I'm afraid to update the firmware on this one because at least it's giving me real-time data if not historical data trends.

The issue is most surely a firmware issue. Perhaps there was a glitch during the firmware install, since it seemed to start/stop a couple times? Is there any way to install the old firmware on the the monitor that's giving me bL 102 problems? Is there a physical way, without using bluetooth, to reset the monitor to default/factory settings? I'm afraid this thing is bricked.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic