question

avramd avatar image
avramd asked

What to do after failed firmware upgrade

I was forced to do a firmware update of my VE.Direct to Bluetooth Smart dongle at a time when my cell phone connection was not at full strength. The update failed, and now I cannot connect to the dongle (and thus, my charge controller either).

The dongle shows one blue light. Holding the "Clear PIN" button down for 5 seconds (or any length of time) does nothing.

Is there any chance of recovering this device, or do I have to throw it away and buy a new one?

firmware updateBluetoothVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

A single solid blue light usually indicates that the dongle thinks that it is still stuck in a connection pair with a device.

Turn everything off and then on again.

Restarting the MPPT (full power cycle) and your phone should be sufficient to break that connection and start it blinking again.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

To add to Guy, for benefit of anyone else coming accross this thread later:

- you never have to throw a dongle away. All our products are always recoverable after an interrupted or otherwise failed firmware update.

- internet is *not* used during firmware updates. So the quality of the internet connection is not relevant

And of course sorry to hear about your issue. I see there are various posts & comments in other places as well.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic