question

iromeo avatar image
iromeo asked

Victron Multi RS Solar 48/6000 connect to VRM (CCGX or RPi)

Hi everyone,

Can someone give a bit more clarity on how to bring the Multi RS in VRM?

The manual is... limited in this regards.

I have a CCGX (on my existing quattro installation) and just bought a RaspberryPi on which I installed VenusOS and I also purchased a MK3 adapter.

From what I can tell, only VECan is available on the Multi RS, but when I connect to CCGX it won't show anything. Do i need the little RJ45 end plugs (which didn't came with any device...) ?

What would I need to connect it to RPi?

Thanks

Romeo

Venus OSCCGX Color ControlRaspberry PiMulti RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
georg-cz avatar image
georg-cz answered ·

Hi there,

Did you find the solution please? I have RS6000 also and I would like to connect it to my rpi. I was thinking MK3 cable will did the job, but just now I realized there is no BUS but CAN. There is also VE.Direct will it work?

Thank you, Jiri

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iromeo avatar image
iromeo answered ·

Hi Jiri,

Sorry, did not get the notification for this post.

I did get it work with CCGX. There is no way to connect to rPI (tried with a bunch of adapters)

2 |3000

pierrick-ausseresse avatar image
pierrick-ausseresse answered ·

I have my RS6000 working with a rasberry pi4 and a CAN hat from waveshare : https://www.waveshare.com/rs485-can-hat.htm

this worked under venus 3 without any configuration needed. plug and play : the way I like it.

I tried the RS485 part of the HAT but couldn't establish communication with my battery - but I think that an issue on the battery (JBD) software. The port was detected fine by venus OS.

the cable is RJ45 but don't try to plug the RS6000 in a ethernet plug :you will FRY the ethernet port, Ve.CAN has a 30V suppply on some of the RJ45 pins with enough current to destroy any device that is not compatible.

for the pinout of the RJ45 I used this post (scroll a bit) : https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/36320/diy-vecan-terminators.html

my recommandation : sacrifice an ethernet cable (cost much less than a a VE.can cable) and find with an ohm meters the two contacts you need (no ground is needed). place heat tube on the ends of the "unused" cable so that there is no wild contacts with the tip and eg you raspberry pi. I made some spark on my rbp and was lucky it survived. As I said VE.can has a quite power power supply on two of the remaining wires.

I didn't use any CAN terminators (which is the sweet name of the RJ45 littles plugs) but I have short distances. you know you needed them when communication becomes unstable.

1 comment
2 |3000

iromeo avatar image iromeo commented ·
Awesome! Glad someone found a workaround for rPI :D

I've been using my CCGX with the RS and the rPI with the quattro.

But it's all going away as I purchased 3x MP2 to DC couple 3ph system, as my grid won't allow more than 5kw per phase and can't wait for the certifications/upgrades on the multiRS (which is a shame as it is an awesome AIO product)

0 Likes 0 ·