question

rv-traveler avatar image
rv-traveler asked

Need help with this setup

What I want to do?

I live full time in an RV. I want to run everything from the batteries with inverters, even when connected to the grid. When batteries go below certain point, start the generator (20kva) and charge them. I also want to use solar panels so if the solar panels don't charge the batteries start the generator.

For the 220v appliances I will need to be split phase (I think) so they can work correctly that's why I think 2 Victrons will work in this way.

What do I currently have?

I have the generator already, it is a 20kva genes and I also have an inverter that I want to replace with a couple of Victrons.

I don't have batteries nor solar panels and I have the wiring in place already. 

What do I need?

Inverters: I've been thinking in going the 48v route for the inverters so I don't have to use heavy gauge for the wiring but I can change this, is not set in stone.
Batteries: I was thinking about using battle born batteries but I can use anything else I can get my hands on for lifepo4 on 48v configuration.
Solar panels: I want to use mono cells and 375w panels (or bigger if I can get my hands on them) 375w is easy to get around where I live.
Wiring and others: I have not clue what cables might I need and I what else I might need.

Another thing I'm wondering about, should I use my alternator to charge batteries? If so I would need to change it as the on I currently have is only 100A and won't do much to the setup I want.

If one of the questions you have is how many watts you are using I can't give a specific number but I can surely tell that I can have the mini split running and also the range could be on so that's not small potatoes but I can have them alternatively on if that makes a huge difference (which I think it does).

Other than that I have a water heater (a 1500watts unit) and an electric BBQ that it is 2000w. None of this things will be on while another large is on as well so I guess that all this is to say that I biggest load could be the mini split running and maybe some other minor things.

Thank you for reading this huge post and I would love if anybody can help me with this as I would need to solve this pretty soon and I have no idea what to do (equipment wise).

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Not sure - Admin please assign or create
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As it is written in the community guidelines, this is not really the place to ask for system design:

"Long, multifaceted issues involving system design, multiple run on questions with very specific installation and nuanced details are not really well suited for the structure of the community. It is best to have a single question with a clear title per post. More complex enquires are best be directed towards your distributor."

You should look for a local Victron seller/installer to get help to design and install the system and buy the components from him(!).

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rv-traveler avatar image rv-traveler commented ·
Oops, sorry and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic