question

petajoule avatar image
petajoule asked

X10 and powerline compatibility/interference?

Is there experience how X10 and Powerline (Ethernet over Power) devices work in a microgrid provided by Victron inverters? And if there is any undesired interference with e.g. Victron <-> 3rd party AC Inverter communication (phasing)?

Not sure - Admin please assign or create
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image petajoule commented ·

I would like to add, that I got fairly furious about the mandatory "topic requirement" when asking that question. "X10", "interference", "compatibility" ... everything I could think of was not accepted/unknown, but you are still required to enter something.

I believe that whoever designed this has not fully understood the concept of tags, topics and semantic clustering.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ petajoule commented ·

Hi @PetaJoule,

I hear your frustrations with the topics.

I have just changed the threshold for creation of new topics to a community reputation of 50. To reach this level requires asking and answering a few questions. So in this example, as you have been on the community for some time, with many answers, you would have been able to create the ones you listed above, and then all other users could select them.

I think the topics of compatibility and interference would be useful and valuable to others too. If you try again now, you should be able to add them to your question :)

There needs to be some threshold of user familiarity with the site on the creation of new topics to prevent one off's getting created and diluting them to the point of being useless.

The topic requirement will stay, because if it is not required then it is barely used. I do believe it is a useful function given the Victron Community has no other structure, and I think the topics are flexible enough to do a better job than the other options.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I have used several different Ethernet over Power devices with success on stand alone Victron systems. Usually to get the network connection from a router inside the house to a GX device in a distant shed.

All the usual limitations apply. In my experience they are very sensitive to interference when run through switch boards or sub-mains, or too many circuit breakers, or extension cords, or power boards. So when I wanted success, it was worth the effort to run as clean and direct line as possible, not just plug them in anywhere and hope for the best.

I have not used any X10 devices.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic