question

spud avatar image
spud asked

Do I need to upgrade my inverter/charger.

About 18 years ago I installed a (Trace) Xantrex SW4548 grid tie inverter/charger (4.5 kVA 48V) with flooded Lead acid batteries. About 10 years ago I replaced the flooded batteries with 4x Victron Gel 12-220 batteries which have only been used as grid backup so they have not had a lot of use. This was my first introduction to the Victron range of products which impressed me very much.

I delayed for a long time installing PV as my roof is gabled facing East and West but in the past few weeks I have installed 8x 370W PV panels on the west side. I bought an MPPT RS 450/100, a Smart Shunt, a Cerbo GX and an ET112 with RS485 to USB. I wired it all up and set up the VRM portal. The Xantrex supplies critical loads but the stove, heat pump, immersion heaters and a few other loads are supplied directly from the grid. I installed the ET112 as a grid meter just after the main breaker so it measures all power from and to the grid, I also wired a relay to pins 7&8 of the ET112 to signal the second tariff as I have a dual tariff connection. I have the Xanrtex set to sell mode so that when the PV begins to charge the batteries, excess power is fed to the critical loads and to the grid and non critical loads. With enough PV input my grid use drops to zero but it also reaches a stage where it feeds a lot of power back to the grid which is a nice big battery but I have to pay dearly to get the power back.

On the VRM portal I get a lot of useful data but not all correct for instance on the dashboard the "To Grid" box always shows zero. I have been reading a lot on the Victron web site and to have a properly functioning ESS it looks like I would need one of the Victron inverter/ chargers. I was planning to upgrade in the future but not just yet. If anyone here has any suggestions or a workaround I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jim

Not sure - Admin please assign or create
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

It sounds like your system works. Just for the missing VRM feature, I would not change the inverter if I already had a working one and that VRM reporting is the only reason.

If you want to spend some money, look into installing PV panels on that East facing roof side instead.

Then replace the inverter when/if the current one fails. Or maybe if you can sell it for a good price.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spud avatar image
spud answered ·

Thanks for the advice seb71. My original plan was as you suggest carry on with my existing inverter, put another 8 PV panels on the East facing roof then upgrade the battery bank to lithium and finally upgrade the inverter.

The thing that got me thinking about the new inverter was ESS, the way it monitors the grid meter and works to keep it at zero so you are neither using from the grid or dumping to the grid. I was thinking of setting up one of my immersion heaters to cut in when the export level reaches the rating of the immersion element.

Jim

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic