question

dunnp avatar image
dunnp asked

Victron connect trend display

I loaded the new version of Victron Connect and love some of the new features - especially the trend display. Three questions/observations:

1. I was initially confused by the timing controls for the trend graph - the plus/minus minutes - it didn't seem to work. Then I realised that it does increment/decrement but the units stay in minutes instead of going to seconds when less than a minute. I'm guessing that it's decrementing steps of 30sec, 15, 10, 5 etc. Staying in minutes is misleading. Can that be fixed?

2. The trend graph only captures the activity while in that screen and resets to a fresh graph and reverts to the default volts and amps values every time you go there. Is there any way to remember your preference - eg I'd rather log SoC and Watts and store that as my preference?

3. Is it possible to retain the graph in memory so it's a genuine log of past activity, not just from when you open the trend screen? Maybe not an indefinite log (that would be awesome!), but certainly for the current session of VC - eg keep logging while connected to the device. That's probably a feature request not a bug.

Great work.

Phil

VictronConnect
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

don1cobb avatar image don1cobb commented ·

I agree fully. This is a great feature, it would be awesome if we could get this in a log. I am trying to track the effect of a large tree shading the panels and would love to be able to see when the shading starts and ends. Great work.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @dunnp, thank you for the feedback. I’ll take it back to the developers to see whats possible. Glad you like it.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Laura Hoey avatar image Laura Hoey commented ·

Mvader, with the new update my Temp setting is stuck on Celsius, and it won’t let me change back to Fahrenheit (in settings). Any thoughts on how to correct this? Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Laura Hoey commented ·

hi @Laura Hoey, what do you mean exactly? That the config switch won’t change to Fahrenheit? Or does it change, and then somewhere you still see the temperature in celsius? Where?

And which settings menu are you in Best would be to post a photo or screenshot

0 Likes 0 ·
Laura Hoey avatar image Laura Hoey mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

The first image shows the Temp units in Fahrenheit, the next image shows what Victron Connect shows me as the temp units (Celsius)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Laura Hoey commented ·

Hi, yes that setting changes the unit used on the lcd display of the bmv itself.

You need another setting, see main menu of VictronConnect, opened at top right, and then Settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Laura Hoey avatar image Laura Hoey mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you! I had no idea that was even there.

0 Likes 0 ·

Welcome! Yeah you won’t be the last either. we’ll have to think of a way to make this more clear.

1 Like 1 ·
curtisbiloxi avatar image curtisbiloxi Laura Hoey commented ·

Thanks for asking. I couldn’t figure it out either. But after reading this thread I do now.

0 Likes 0 ·
egk4d avatar image egk4d commented ·

I too love the new trend feature, would love more if it would have the log to file feature added.

0 Likes 0 ·
mischling avatar image mischling commented ·

@Mvader,
the trend feature is great!

Some suggestions on The Victron Connect App for improvement:

a) When pushing the Play button the Time scroll shall jump to the right where the mos recent data is appears in the graph.

b) The Time scroll shall indicates two values (A and V for example) it shall indicate time too.

c) When switching to a different App and back to Victron Connect App a re-connection is necessary and previous trend data disappears and is just graphed form the moment of re-connection. Can this be improved?

d) Switching on the Victron Connect App from SmartBMW to MPPT a re-conenction is necessary too. Can the different devices of a VE.Smart Network integratd much more (at the moment it just shares Voltage)?

e) I can see that the Terminology used in the App is based on Lead Acid batteries and causes lots of confusion in programming SmartBMW and MPPT for LPF. Could adapt the settings menu to become more clear for LPF batteries?

f) Can each setting include a little question mark with guidance and help for the User.

g) Same as dump had said before: Is it possible to retain the graph in memory so it's a genuine log of past activity, not just from when you open the trend screen? Maybe not an indefinite log (that would be awesome!), but certainly for the current session of VC - eg keep logging while connected to the device.

Keep up the great work!
Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

Thanks mvader.

I should correct my point number 2 in the original query (after spending a bit more time with the app). If I stay within the one device in VC - say my BMV - it actually does remember the trend settings and the log data, so that's fine. But it's when I jump between devices - eg when I jump to my Multi or MPPT to check or tweak something then back to the BMV, it resets everything to defaults. I realise it wouldn't be easy to store settings and logs for multiple devices because VC is only communicating with one device at a time - but it would be a nice feature nevertheless.

Cheers

Phil

2 |3000

swales avatar image
swales answered ·

Please add logging of the trend data. I tried leaving my iPad connected to VictronConnect on the Trend screen to see how my new solar was doing. However when I checked it failed to keep the trend screen updated after a couple hours. If it was written to a log file and be able to load it back up I would have something useful.

2 |3000

mikegbr avatar image
mikegbr answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Has there been any development regarding:

a) the length of time one can record trend data

b) the ability to download trend data

and especially

c) being able to run the app in the background, so that you don’t have to re-establish the bluetooth connection and restart trend data recording, if you switch out of the app?

2 |3000

Related Resources