question

subby28 avatar image
subby28 asked

Does the Multiplus 2 Battery monitor use the Peukert Factor ?

Hi,

There is no option on the config file of a Multiplus 2 to enter Peukert Factor for the built in battery monitor. Does it base it on a default Peukert value of the type of battery selected, or does it not use Peukert at all for SoC calculations, and the only way i can achieve this is to install a smart shunt / BMV?

Thanks

Chris.

Multiplus-IIbattery chargingBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Subby28

No it doesn't. It only uses the Charge Efficiency. And it's 'sync' is to a value you choose when it enters Absorb. You could probably get it pretty close using it's own charger at a consistent rate all the time, but it's value is limited.

The real deal Smartshunt/BMV beckons. Great devices..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

subby28 avatar image subby28 commented ·
Thanks John. Yes as i suspected then. I do find it odd they left off the PF on the integrated battery monitor. I assume its essentially the same shunt built into the multi, so it would just be a software feature to allow PF to be taken into account. Although i guess they would then lose out on a few sales of the BMV/Smart shunt for people with pure ESS lead acid systems (no PV or DC loads).
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ subby28 commented ·
@Subby28

I don't think it's about sales. The Multi probably just evolved, then the demand rose for something more accurate for batteries alone. The calibrated shunt itself in the external units is quite expensive, so I guess the decision was made not to add this cost to every Multi.

I actually bought a Smartshunt to give me battery Amps for mppt control, and with external DC loads as well, the Multi's SOC couldn't do it. A real battery monitor is for the battery.

3 Likes 3 ·