question

sun66 avatar image
sun66 asked

Is it possible to automatically power on the generator when an overload occurs on multiplus II ?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to automatically power on the generator when an overload occurs on multiplus II ?

It is a multiplus II 24-3000, to power a small house and sometimes it can happen that the owner consumes more than 3kVA and the multi is overloaded.

Currently, the generator is turned-on automatically from a BMV700 when SOC or voltage is too low but to prevent damage or early deterioration of the multi I would like to be able to turn the generator on when an overload occurs to toggle in AC transfer mode. Does anyone have a solution ? Can I program the multi relay for that ? Any problem having to relays simultaneously (BMV + multi)?

Thanks,

regard,

Elie

Multiplus-IIRelaystarting generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Yes you can do that with the "generator start/stop" assistant.

But I guess in most cases the time to start the generator, synchronizing and switch over is to long (1-2 minutes).

You have to test it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

Depending on how the load increases, you could also turn the generator on when the load on the MP II exceeds a certain power level, and set this some way below full power e.g. 1500W or 2000W for a 24-3000. Then by the time the load increases further and hits the MP II overload limit, the generator might already be synchronised and switched in.

1 comment
2 |3000

rvicev avatar image rvicev commented ·

Yes, this is similar to what George of the Off-grid Garage does in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsTkgoN6ENM In his example he uses a Phoenix inverter as ´generator´ and of course the Phoenix will fire up quicker than a normal generator, but the principal is the same. You would have to play around with settings as mentioned to find out if this method will work for your generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
sun66 avatar image
sun66 answered ·

Ok, thanks a lot, I will try the "generator start/stop" assistant ", the overload usually occurs when the borehole pumps start and it takes a couple of minutes to fill the water booster, it might work.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic