question

dave-freedman avatar image
dave-freedman asked

Samsung Galaxy j2 Bluetooth connection problem

• I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy j2 phone pairing with the Bluetooth. If the phone says the device is paired the vic connect app shows no devices. Unpair the phone app brings up devices then password . After that most of the time it works. Problem is I have to do this everytime I want to use the app. Also sometimes I have to restart phone. Have tried emptying cache memory etc j think that also works. Has anyone else had this problem. Does Samsung Galaxy j3 work better? My old Samsung Galaxy j1 worked perfectly. Thanks
VictronConnectBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I really dont know, but some suggestions are below

is your phone on the latest release of the Galaxy Firmware

are the victron devices also on the latest firmware

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dave-freedman avatar image dave-freedman commented ·

Was wondering if anyone has Samsung Galaxy j2 that works

0 Likes 0 ·

Tried another new Samsung j2 exactly same problem. Maybe someone at did some suggestions from victron support didn't work. These were regarding turning Bluetooth on and off and others. Nothing worked

0 Likes 0 ·
jimbo147 avatar image jimbo147 commented ·

Same problem here using Samsung J2. Latest phone firmware and still unable to connect. Not impressed with Victron's lack of R&D on Bluetooth capability BEFORE selling the product.

0 Likes 0 ·
dave-freedman answered ·

Yep everything is up to date. Thinking problem might be with phone

2 |3000

mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

We confirm this is a phone issue and that there's nothing we can do to workaround it. Samsung has to fix this with a software update.

As of (at least) Kernel version 3.18.31-15300174 (29 jan 2019) the phone will not discover a device which has been bonded and thus will not show up in the VictronConnect device list. As it seems the only way to make the phone discover the bonded device again is by unbonding (remove bond information).

Also Kernel version 3.18.31-15984886 (8 may 2019) is confirmed to suffer from this issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Have been in touch with Samsung who are really not helpful all they can say is that it's up to victron to supply update to fix it. As the phone is only 6 months old and can't be updated it makes it obsolete already. Given that and how hard it has been to get any support from Samsung I'll believe victron who have been really willing to help. DON'T get Samsung phone if you need support from Samsung. Does anyone one know other phones that don't have this problem with Samsung Galaxy j2. Are iPhone more reliable

0 Likes 0 ·
mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

The issue is currently being investigated by support.

1 comment
2 |3000

devodave avatar image devodave commented ·

+1 with this problem. Just installed a brand new 100/20 smartsolar on a clients boat. Updated the controller's bluetooth firmware and the actual firmware with my phone.

Customer not impressed.. especially as I upsold him the smartsolar because of the bluetooth features.

His phone has the latest update.

0 Likes 0 ·
devodave avatar image
devodave answered ·

Has there been any progress on this?

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I'll note that as a general rule with these devices, one should never pair the device with your phone. Just turn on BT on your phone, dismiss the pairing notification that it pops up on your phone, then go into VictronConnect and open the device. Your phone's pairing request and the VictronConnect pairing are two entirely separate functions, and don't play together.

2 |3000

devodave avatar image
devodave answered ·

New Bluetooth firmware was just released. Was there a fix for this issue in there?

1 comment
2 |3000

In the same boat Dave! I expected a much better R&D from a high quality company like Victron. Thought they would be a lot more proactive in their efforts to release a Bluetooth model that CAN connect with late model Samsung phones etc. Rant over!

0 Likes 0 ·
dave-freedman answered ·

Not fixable. Bought new Samsung phone

Both j5 and a20 work. No point in chasing this down

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you David for the "heads up". Bought an A20 and Bluetooth now working !

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows