question

2p0p avatar image
2p0p asked

Can this generator work on new ''easy-solar 5kva ?''

Hi Folks...i've just bought a new 'EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 MPPT 150/100 Color Control ' ...i have a battery bank of 24 x 2v 720ah lead carbon batteries in good condition which have worked fine on my old inverter set up and were being charged well with my genny - a Lister type diesel driving a WarnePower st-5kw alternator , single phase 240v , excit. volt 49v , excit curr. 2.6A , ...The guy i bought this 'all in one easy solar' from says that my generator can't work with the Victron to charge my battery bank and is trying to sell me one of his generators....he has made a lot of mistakes installing this Victron set up and seems more like a salesman than a tech guy - my question is whether or not i really need to buy another generator (we are off-grid) - should that generator/alternator be able to charge my batteries via the Victron all in one - or not ; it was charging that same battery bank fine before i upgraded to the Victron ?.

Many thanks, in anticipation............ Paul Mcguire

battery chargingGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Paul. It should be fine if your old kit worked ok. Not to say you won't see 'teething trouble'. The Multiplus onboard is quite sensitive to 'dirty' power and may reject it. Not an uncommon issue, but is fixable by relaxing the constraints - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

You may also find it possible to overload the genny. With 70A (@48V+) of charge current available (& possible) to your batts, you could see up to ~4000W demand at times. Add a decent ac load and the genny itself may baulk. That's fixable too in the CCGX (Multiplus section), where you can set an ac input limit to where your genny is 'comfortable/efficient'.

I'm not sure how your salesman friend made mistakes, but the Easy is virtually plug'n'play. Fine tuning/networking it may exercise some brain cells though, and I encourage you to learn more about doing that yourself.

Have a go with the existing genny. You're not alone, I'm offgrid too, and use the same blue box.

And if you haven't VRM portal access yet, work on that too.. icing on the cake..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

max-herron avatar image max-herron commented ·

Not an answer JohnC I am having difficulty with a Generator(alternator) causing the battery voltage to go too high the output about 1.5 va is ok for generator but the voltage 57.+of sealed lead acid batteries is too high. I can not find the dynamic limiter in settings on phone bluetooth app while connected to the controller. Going to have an other go I also havent "got" VRM yet getting a long Ethernet cable to connect to our wifi soon

0 Likes 0 ·
pieter-pieterse avatar image
pieter-pieterse answered ·

Hi All

Please can u tell me that with the Easysolar 5kva if it is possible to use the PV solar power 1st during the day then the stored battery power ( 11kwh battery ) at night and when the load is to high get the rest from the grid?

Will the easysolar work like this?

Thank u

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
2p0p avatar image
2p0p answered ·

Thanks heaps John...i will post back as things develop.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic