question

van-land avatar image
van-land asked

Low SOC Alarm- Battery Level is Fine

Hi everyone.

I am getting a Low SOC alarm from my Lynx BMS, even though the battery levels are well above 50% when the alarm trips. It's happening over and over after I reset the alarm.

Has anyone experienced Low SOC alarms seemingly for no reason?

Is there a way to disable these alarms for my client? He is concerned about the alarm, even though the system is working just fine.

Here's the setup:

Full Victron Power System

• Victron Batteries (200ah x 3)
  • Victron Lynx BMS
  • Victron Lynx Distributor
  • Victron Multiplus 3000
  • Victron MPPT 30 Amp
  • Victron Cerbo GX and Display

I also have a Wakespeed controller for my dual alternator setup which is connected to the Lynx BMS. I'm wondering if the Wakespeed connection is causing the problem.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

low battery warninglynx bms
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Please add screenshots of the Lynx Smart BMS settings and screenshots from your batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
van-land avatar image van-land Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi here are the pictures of the Lynx BMS settings. I'm still getting a Low SOC alarm every time the system starts up. We have a Wakespeed regulator connected to the Lynx BMS with Relay Mode set to Alternator ATC. I recently replaced the BMS to see if that would resolve the issue, but no luck. The battery level has stayed consistently above 60% during my testing.

What keeps tripping the Low SOC alarm?

img-6200.png img-6201.png

0 Likes 0 ·
img-6200.png (404.5 KiB)
1670433566613.png (266.5 KiB)
4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Van Land

Look at the Lynx Smart BMS settings described in the manual, specifically at the discharge floor setting. Once the discharge floor limit has been reached, a Low SoC alarm is the result.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

van-land avatar image
van-land answered ·

Hi Stefanie, thank you for the link. I confirmed the settings but I'm still getting a Low SOC constantly. I can reset it via the VRM Alarm Log, but it still shows up on the Cerbo display. Any way to clear it from the display? Thanks again!

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi, please also show a screenshot of the alarm on the Cerbo display and if available, also from the VRM alarm.

Are you sure the alarm is coming from the BMS or is it a VE.Bus Low SoC alarm?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi and thank you Stefanie. Here are the additional two images you requested. You can see on the VRM alarm log that this is a repeating issue and also where I changed out the SmartBMS trying to see if that would fix the issue. This happens with the MultiPlus off (which should eliminate that from the scenario).

Jeremy

screen-shot-2022-12-09-at-13354-pm.png

bms-alarm.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
I've narrowed down the problem to this- the Low SOC Alarm is being thrown as soon as the Relay Mode is switched from Alarm to Alternator ATC on the Lynx Smart BMS.

The BMS is connected to a Wakespeed regulator and a secondary alternator, which is why the setting needs to be switched, according to the manufacturer's installation instructions.

At the suggestion of the tech support at our distributor, I charged the batteries to 100% and reset the Smart BMS to factory defaults. I powered down the system, powered back up and ran tests on the system. As a default the Relay Mode is set to Alarm, so when it started back up, the Relay Mode was Alarm. The system works perfectly and no alarms are set off. As soon as I switch to Alternator ATC, the alarm pops-up.

Still looking for a solution to get this to go away. Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ van-land commented ·

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this in a test installation (without WS500).

I'm wondering how you wired the programmable relay and also how the WS500 connects to the Cerbo. Do you have a sketch or photos? Are you also getting a low SoC alarm with no WS500 connected and/or no Alternator ATC cable connected to the WS500?

I have a WS500 here and can test it, but it will take some time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Here's the wiring diagram and the installation that's having the issue. Thanks again!

screen-shot-2022-12-19-at-22134-pm.png img-6466.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Van Land I have a similar setup on my yacht and never had any issues with Low SOC.

You say that you have tracked this down to the Relay Mode being set to Alternator. When this happens you get a Low SOC alarm. Am I correct?

What version of software are you running on the Lynx Smart BMS? Can yous are a copy of the VictronConnect configuration or the Lynx Smart BMS.

2 comments
2 |3000

van-land avatar image van-land commented ·
Hi and thank you for the reply.

Yes, the Low SOC alarm is triggered when I switch the Relay Mode to Alternator ATC. If the Relay mode is set to Alarm, then the system performs with no alarms/errors. But of course the alternator does not work unless the Relay mode is set to Alt ATC.

I have the most current version of software installed on all of the devices in the system. The Lynx BMS is running V1.06

The settings are shown in a previous part of this thread.

Thanks for chiming in- I really can't get this one solved and have replaced all of the suspect parts and checked all connections multiple times.

0 Likes 0 ·
psorlien avatar image psorlien van-land commented ·
What was the outcome? I have the same setup and the same problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Van Land

To help our developers find the cause of this issue, could you please test if the issue goes away when setting the discharge floor at 0%?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes

Lynx Smart BMS product page

Lynx Smart BMS online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic