question

Gabriel avatar image
Gabriel asked

Three phase Multiplus nominal / max power

Hi,

I read some messages with a Multiplus overloaded at lower power than nominal power.
I read documents from Victron with max power at 130% of nominal power (during 30min).

So I am looking for installation feedback to figure out what is the real capabilities.

What is the nominal/maximum power (for how long) you get from your three phase Multiplus system on DC supply ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger3 phasecurrent limitpeak
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Gabriel

Answer depends on operating conditions and temperatures.

See derating on temperature whitepapers.

And also was it installed correctly. I have seen many a good inverter crippled by a bad install. And of course power factor and load type.

We have seen a 10kva struggle/overload with a 1500w lawnmower because the lawmower did not have a good run capacitor.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gabriel avatar image Gabriel commented ·
Thank you @Alexandra for your reply.

Of course it depends on conditions and temperature.
Your document shows that Multi can provides 2 times the nominal power at 25°c like other documents.

This is a feedback that we can get very low output from a bad install.

What do you effectively get from a good install (for a given temperature, and time)?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Gabriel commented ·
Worth remembering that the 25C refers to internal temperature and not ambient.
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Are you talking pass through? Inverting?

Remember the limit for pass through is the input current limit.

Inverting continuously has a nominal at 25° and then it also has peaks for certain periods. All depends on resistance, battery voltage and temperature. Particularly for inverting.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Inverting of course, that's what matters. I did a fair bit of testing with loading 5k and 3k inverters with decent battery packs and vanilla loads like most will attach, there is no chance of sustaining the max rated inverter output for any significant period unless you are in polar conditions.

Short transients don't matter to me personally, I am sure they cope fine with this, but understanding what real world continuous usage is across a broader and warmer ambient range is, matters. Too many will buy on cost and and not leave headroom, then are surprised when it rolls over beneath this rating.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gabriel avatar image Gabriel nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@Alexandra I am talking about inverting power.
@nickdb I understand from your experience that you cannot get 5kVA output power from 5k Multi for several minutes even at 25°c.

0 Likes 0 ·