question

portlysailor avatar image
portlysailor asked

Can a Blue Smart Charger trigger an Orion DC-DC charger to charge a secondary bank?

Hi,

I'm looking to rewire my charging circuit as a result of a burnt battery caused by a rather mysterious wiring scheme on a boat I recently acquired. Won't go in to details how it was wired, but need help on wiring it properly. I have a Volvo Penta D1-20, with a voltage sensing alternator (sensing in image as a yellow line). I'm wondering if connecting the shore power using a Victron Blue Smart charger and the alternator connected only to the start battery bank and then charging the house battery bank (AGM) via an Orion DC DC 12V charger would also charge the house battery when on shore power only. A.k.a would the smart charging voltages put out by the AC charger confuse the DC-DC charger or could one expect that when the AC charger is connected to shore, it would charge the start battery bank and via the DC-DC charger also the house battery in all normal cases (assuming start battery is not in low charge state). I'm looking to configure the DC-DC charger in a way that it will only charge the house battery when the alternator or shore power is connected, presumably using the engine on detection logic. It would never be used as a battery to battery charger. Basic idea pictured below, not including fuses etc, just a rough sketch. Any other solutions are mostly welcome as well. Thank you in advance!

capture3.jpg

Best regards,

Sebastian

orion-tr smartcharge controller compatibility
capture3.jpg (49.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes, should work. If you download the Victron Connect app, you can go into demo mode and simulate the setup for the Orion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.