question

david-ross avatar image
david-ross asked

Orion Bluetooth to ve.direct bridge

Just bought a not so smart Orion DC2DC and can't believe it doesn't have ve-direct.

Has anyone thought about making a bluetooth to ve.direct bridge with a Raspberry Pi? RPi talks to Orion via bluetooth and passes data along to Cerbo via ve.direct?

Pretty sure the protocols are published and we're only talking about a handful of messages.

Curious if there are any other project before I give it a shot.

Raspberry PiBluetoothOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I am not aware of anyone doing this, Victron has not published the Bluetooth GATT capability or specs, but there have been some attempts to reverse engineer it and a search of the web and git repositories will return some results.

I am sure that Victron understand the limitations, and will have plans, but they will not share them till they are ready,

the smart in the Victron product line is the Bluetooth and Victron connect capability to configure and report. There are also some hardware limitations in the unit, so for instance it can never report current, so depend8ng on what you want to measure and feed into VenusOS, then a shunt on the output would show current and voltage flowing out from the device. This can be feed into the VenusOS through VE.direct. I know that means the expense of a shunt, but compare that expense to the effort of implementing what you suggest.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.