Keeping batteries healthy.

Victron Smart Battery.

CerboGX.

Multiplus

Smart Solar

Orion DCDC

GX LTE.

DVCC

When my boat is in a marina, it has shore power all the time and the batteries will sit at 100% permanently.

With Solar, it’s similar.

I can manually turn the Multiplus off over the internet and let the battery slowly lose charge to small loads and then turn it on again at a suitable point.

Is there a better option?

Is cycling charging better for the batteries than leaving at 100%

Can’t fully turn off or will lose the ability to monitor boat and control when away.

Lithium Batterybattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Sweyn

It’s a Victron Lithium Battery Smart, right?

There is no need to turn the charger off. If properly configured, it will keep the battery at 13.5V and every month or so balance for an hour at 14.2V.

Having them at 100% permanently does no harm to them.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image sweyn commented ·

Thanks Stefanie.

they should be configured correctly, because I’ve just let the system do it by specifying the type of battery.

Why do I keep seeing people say on the internet that keeping LiFePO4 at 100% will damage them?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ sweyn commented ·

Good question. It is always fascinating how such myths spread with supposed facts. I thought so too at first...

For almost 5 years I have been using the Smart Lithium as recommended by Victron in the manual. They are still like new and sit most of the time at 100%.

2 Likes 2 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic