question

garethcurtis avatar image
garethcurtis asked

Logging frequency setting on VRM online portal / Color Control GX

Hello,

I'd like to understand the behaviour of the logging setting (Settings: VRM online Portal: Log interval). I've set it to 12 hours because I'm on a pay as you go data SIM and I'm not too concerned with how up to date the data is. However, it seems that despite the setting it still updates much more frequently. So I have to top up the SIM quite frequently, around once a month.

Any ideas please?

Pics attached - one from 9AM today, another from around 12PM. Definitely less than 12 hours apart :)

Thanks.

9am.png

12pm.png

Multiplus-IICCGX Color Control
9am.png (1.2 MiB)
12pm.png (997.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@garethcurtis

VRM logging uses about 60mb in 5mins intervals of data a month.

You checking the vrm dashboard (especially if realtime updates are on) will consume data, and make the systen send data more regularly as well as checking for firmware updates.

And checking the remote console eats data

So disable those three things and it will improve.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

VRM-Portal -> settings -> general -> "Realtime updates"

If that is enabled and you check the VRM often than you force the GX device to connect to the VRM Portal.

0 Likes 0 ·
garethcurtis answered ·

@Alexandra thanks for the response. OK, so what is the 12 hours for then? If the system reports every 5m regardless? That would explain why my data runs out so quickly.

With regards to VRM & remote console - yep, understood that's fair. I was just showing that as an example. I probably go on VRM about once a week so it's not that I'm using extra data there.

Can I override the 5m timer? I thought that's what the logging interval set at 12 hours was doing...

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I have no idea, may have been forced by the checks you have been making. I have never tried logs that far apart. All sites I set up log at one minute intervals. I will set up my home one and see what happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
garethcurtis answered ·

Seems like a bug to me? Or that logging interval means something else. It doesn't matter what I set it to, it always carries on for me at 5 mins.

2 |3000