question

anthony-d avatar image
anthony-d asked

Using 2 wire BMS assistant to force shoreline charging float, to maximize solar battery storage.

I am setting up a friends Multiplus, on a boat with solar and shoreline. It's a simple system with no Cerbo. I like the idea of using the 2 wire BMS assistant to limit shore charging to float, as it reduces battery cycling, permits, meaningful solar to charge batteries, protects batteries from over discharge, and enables the shoreline to supply high loads without bulk charging the batteries from shore power.

My question is: if the Multiplus is forced to float using the 2 wire BMS assistant, will the unit behave in all respects as if the battery is full? What concerns me is the possibility that in forced float, the batteries may deplete to empty and the unit will not shutdown on low voltage criteria, as it is being told that the batteries are full.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Depending on your battery type, and the implemented float voltage, this should maintain your battery at around 80% charge. However, this won't allow much in the way of solar charging. An alternative would be to set 'ignore AC in' - which will use more solar, but at the cost of cycling the battery deeper.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.