question

locosan avatar image
locosan asked

Victron BMV-700 - nothing on - amps flowing in on camper van

Hi - just joined - put in 2 100Ah agm for my auxilary in my camper van - also have a battery doctor connected on front side of the van which seems to be working correctly. Nothing is on in the van and the Victron700 is showing 2A coming in to charge ? could this be 1 battery charging the other that is the "monitor side" for these 2 batteries. i.e. batteries syncing? I am new at this am I making any sense?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi. Presumably your 'battery doctor' is an isolator between the tow vehicle and the van. And yes, it's possible that 2A is batt 'syncing'. The only way to know for sure is to physically disconnect them.

Typically one might expect an electronic isolator to open when the engine shuts down, so you don't deplete the start battery.

If you suspect the 700 is wrong, lift a cable from one end of the shunt to see what it shows then.

We can't offer much more without better info. I'm even guessing to get this far.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

locosan avatar image
locosan answered ·

Hey @JohnC - Thanks some of your answer makes sense to me. I have a fully contained Promaster Van...needed more power. 2 Aux batteries under driver seat with a Battery Doctor from Wirth - only charges the Aux Bats when vehicle running and then prevents Van Bat from being discharged if the Aux Bats go dead. so BMV700 is monitoring the "brand new bank of 2 Aux batteries that are not fully charged". BMV700 seems to be working correctly though I still have not been able to get my old history removed. I thought that if I removed a cable from shunt - the BMV would shut off... I can try it though. I am hoping I don't have to physically disconnect batteries as I have to remove seat and I have spent 3 days taking it in and out to get placement and wiring just right -- ;-). thanks again @Locosan

2 |3000

locosan avatar image
locosan answered ·

Hello Again - I did a shake down day trip - everything seemed to be recording correctly (negative when fridge was on, charging while driving and with solar when stopped)...but when I remove the "load side of the shunt per your suggestion" -- I am still showing a 1.8A current flowing on the V700...Batteries are now almost completely charged as far as I can tell after our long drive... hmm... any ideas other than still sync'ing? thanks @locosan

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Have you tried the "Zero Current Calibration" setting.
Once you are absolutely certain that no current is flowing into or out of the battery yet it is reading something other than zero, then you can calibrate it to read zero.

It's option 09 in the setup menu.
See section 4.2.1 of the manual, page 23:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BMV-700-700H-702-712-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-PT-IT.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
locosan avatar image locosan wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

cool I will try that - I know there should be a little going out from solar controller. I will let you know thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources