question

johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold asked

Two dc-dc isolated chargers with the option to choose the charging direction with smart shunt possible?

Attaching a wiring diagram of the desired configuration to choose which direction I want to transfer power. The main question is really whether Orion-tr smart isolated is suitable for this in this setupdc-dc1.png

orion dc-dc
dc-dc1.png (512.7 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·

The way you have connected the earth at the battery common will short the shunt, giving rise to incorrect readings. Also, for you to accurately measure the current and charge for each battery, they would need independent shunts.

When using shunts, the Battery negative becomes an active point and should not be earthed.

otherwise, this would work with proper control - such that the 2 converters will not be on at the same time.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold Mike Dorsett commented ·

@Mike Dorsett

Thanks for the reply! I've looked it over again but can't see how this would short out the shunt.

The only thing I want measured is the current that goes between the batteries, not total consumption where I use another smart shunt, and yes there is only one dc-dc active at a time with a latched dual coil relay

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett johnny-brusevold commented ·
ok, yes, I was ignoring the isolation factor -more used to the 2 central negative connections being connected together...
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources