question

zoneblue avatar image
zoneblue asked

OK to use common ground on Orion-Tr DC-DC Converters Non-isolated

The dc converters have two negative terminals. They seem, according to my multimeter to be at the same potential, so is it ok to just run a single negative to either of the terminals? Space is tight in this install, one less wire.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Found it.

From the manual

English Orion-Tr DC-DC converters, non-isolated 1. Select a cool, dry and ventilated area. 2. First connect the ‘minus’ supply cable to one of the minus terminals of the Orion. The two minus terminals are interconnected.

One wire is enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Is this the tall square model, or the wider one with more rounded corners?

From more the tall ones are connected internally, so one wire needed.

2 |3000

zoneblue avatar image
zoneblue answered ·

Its the 15A 24-12 its plastic with rounded corners, boxish in shape

2 |3000

zoneblue avatar image
zoneblue answered ·

p1111386.jpg

Here is a picture.

p1111386.jpg (559.5 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Exact model would help.

Manuals can be downloaded.

All the non-isolated with 4 connections do, as far as I know, have the negative terminals interconnected internally and only require a single connection of sufficient thickness.

2 |3000

zoneblue avatar image
zoneblue answered ·

Awesome, thanks. The NZ victron site doesnt seem to have a manual, just a datasheet.

https://victronenergy.co.nz/collections/dc-dc-converters/products/orion-tr-non-isolated-24-12-15-180w-converter-1

But on your hint i looked on victron.com, and there it is:

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-24-12-5-10#manual

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Sorry, I posted a follow up answer after you added the pictures, but must have failed to send. I'm travelling at the moment, so that may explain the missing post.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Found it.

From the manual

English Orion-Tr DC-DC converters, non-isolated 1. Select a cool, dry and ventilated area. 2. First connect the ‘minus’ supply cable to one of the minus terminals of the Orion. The two minus terminals are interconnected.

On e wire enough.

1 comment
2 |3000

And then my web browser found it, so here it is.
0 Likes 0 ·
riker1 avatar image
riker1 answered ·

Wondering why they provide 2 minus Output If they are interconnected and 1 is enough?

if you say 1 wire is enough, which one to take?

1 comment
2 |3000

Ease of installation, parts commonality with other models.

Take whichever is easiest.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources