question

Charles Gibbs avatar image
Charles Gibbs asked

Enersol Battery CAN on RPi4b

Hi Gents,

I have purchased two new 48|100 Enersol batteries, I would like to know if anyone has had any success in connecting them to an RPi with Venus OS, It works on the ccgx and cerbo GX, I am unsure though about the RPi..?

I have a usb powered hub.

1x VE-can for victron inverter.

2x PL2303 for a BMV and an MPPT

these are all up and running, I have yet to see the battery though.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Charles

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

If it works on the GX it will also work on the rPi as it is the same VenusOS running on them all.

You just need to install 'n CAN hat like this one https://www.waveshare.com/rs485-can-hat.htm

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt commented ·

As far as I know the MK2/MK3 are customised. I'm not sure if those will work with generic CAN devices, but if you have them already it would be an easy test. They do work with the Raspberry Pi devices, I just don't know about the batteries

1 Like 1 ·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs Louis van der Walt commented ·

Hi @ Louis.

Could you tell me perhaps how this test might be done?

I am NOT an experienced user in fact, I would call myself a total novice.

As I have said to @nickdb It does not seem that I am able to source a CAN HAT locally.

But, I have generic CAN pcb's like those used on the Arduino. Could I use these on the Pi? I am electronically well inclined though. If that helps any.

Regards
Charles.

0 Likes 0 ·
Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt Charles Gibbs commented ·

Micro Robotics will ship to Namibia, but you have to mail them (can't shop on the web site directly) https://www.robotics.org.za/W14882

On the wiki page there is instructions what you need to add to the Pi's config line to set it up and that will work with the Pi VenusOS as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs commented ·
Hi @Louis van der Walt

Hi Louis, MUST I buy a can hat? Would I not be able to use a second MK3 or a MK2 device?

Thank you

Regards

Charles

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Charles Gibbs commented ·
The MK devices aren’t CAN based. So won’t work.
1 Like 1 ·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

OH!!!!

But on the Victron inverter it labeled as veCAN ?

A bit confusing.... It does not seem like there is stock here in Namibia, But I have some generic CAN PCB's for an Arduino. Could something like this be used on the Pi?

Regards

Charles

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett Charles Gibbs commented ·
Whilst the Mk2/Mk3 I think use can signal levels, the protocol is Victron proprietary - the Mkx has a small protocol translation chip internal, and so can't be used as a general can interface.

0 Likes 0 ·
Charles Gibbs avatar image Charles Gibbs Mike Dorsett commented ·
@Mike Dorsett

Thank you, Will have to try another alternative.

Regards

Charles

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources