question

chad-jones avatar image
chad-jones asked

2 victron smart shunts in one system ?

question about : Victron SmartShunt 500AMP
I have a 400 AH system ( 4 x 100 AH Lithium Ion cheap knock-offs lol ) and on this system, at the battery, I have a Victron smart shunt. now downstream at the other end of my RV ( reason to long to explain here and now ) I have another 100 ah battery (downstream of the shunt ) tied to a smaller inverter for the refrigerator only but gets charged by the main battery , and there is solar input at both ends of the system. now the main battery ( the 4 ) get all power metered in and out but Im pretty sure having another battery unmetered is messing with my % SOC on my charge controllers and smart shunt. now all the solar charge controllers and shunt are Victron and are on their own Network so they see each other. The question is if I add another smart shunt right at the other battery ( the single battery ) and connect it to the same network would the 2 shunts communicate data like they do with the charge controller and correct this issue with total power in and out correcting the SOC % ? I know weird question.. I could move the single battery but I have reasons for not wanting to do this.
well thanks for taking the time to read this

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

If you have a cerbo in the system you can install a second smart shunt on the second battery and set it as a DC meter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image
David answered ·

multiple shunt installations won't "correct" anything by combining the SOC information, but you can certainly have more than one shunt and have them configured as either Load Monitors or as SOC monitors. If you have a Cerbo type setup, you have to define one of the SOC monitors as the primary device from which the overall System SOC is taken.

on my system I actually have 4 BMVS - 2 x 712 and 2 x 700. the two BMV-700s each report on their own battery bank and one of the BMV-712s reports on the overall combined battery.

If you cable up as follows, you could get a bettery picture of what is happening with your batteries ....

1. Get a 2nd SmartShunt and fit its BAT -ve post to the LOAD -ve post of the original Smartshunt

2. Move the existing connections on the original SmartShunt LOAD -ve to the LOAD -ve of the new SmartShunt

3. Connect the 100Ah "Fridge Battery" -ve to the BAT -ve of the new Smartshunt

4. Configure the new Smartshunt to have 500Ah of Total Battery

If you could do the above, then original SmartShunt would tell you about main 400Ah battery and new Smartshunt wouls tell you the overall SOC of the whole 500Ah. But the -ve cable run may be too far to do that, AND it would not be that useful considering the "fridge" battery is there for a single purpose and adding its SOC to the overall picture I don't think would actually be helpful anyway as you can't use it for anything else anyway.

But having a dedicated Smartshunt on the "fridge" battery with its SOC data probably could be.

2 |3000