question

anteallach avatar image
anteallach asked

SmartSolar 100/50 failing to pair with Victron Connect (iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro)

Please note: I have read all existing threads to do with pairing a SmartSolar but nothing suggested has fixed my issue.

---

SmartSolar charge controller

MPPT 100/50 - v1.47

• iPhone 13 Pro Max - iOS 15.6.1
  • iPad Air (5th gen) - iPad OS 15.6.1
  • MacBook Pro - macOS Monterey 12.5.1
  • Victron Connect app for iOS/iPad/macOS v5.73

Issue: The device will not pair with my iPhone/iPad/MacBook, this is a new device to me (I've never been able to pair with it).

The device appears in my list in the Victron Connect App when I try and pair it with 000000 it fails

Note: I currently have a Victron Shunt and SmartSolar MPPT 100/15 successfully paired with my Connect App. The new MPPT 100/50 when attached to my PV panels does output current as the shunt shows details (I know this is from the MPPT 100/50 as I've disconnected the PV to MPPT 100/15) but without being able to pair and connect I'm not able to configure it via the connect app for my system.

The troubleshooting list that I have already tried

1. Reboot Phone
  2. Looked in paired devices on phone - it's not listed as it has never successfully paired so no device pairing to forget
  3. Forget existing devices in the iPhone Bluetooth list and power them down (Shunt and MPPT 100/15), removed the app, shut down the phone and disconnect the battery from the system for 10 mins
  4. Reinstalled app on phone, it listed just the MPPT 100/50 as the only device found (the shunt and MPPT 100/15 still both powered down)
  5. it failed to pair
  6. When I powered up the shunt and the MPPT 100/15 these devices paired without issue
  7. Download connect app on iPad and tried to pair - it failed (the other two devices pair without issue)
  8. Download connect app on MacBook Pro and tried to pair, but it failed (the other two devices pair without issue)
  9. Reset the PIN code using the PUK code on the side - success is reported yet it fails to pair with the default 000000 PIN code (if I try and pair with the wrong PUK I’m told it’s wrong, so I know I’m entering the correct PUK code)

Note: When I enter the default 000000 code (or any 6-digit code) on the device the Bulk, Absorption and Float lights flash but then I’m asked to enter the code again as the paired failed (so the device knows it is receiving a code).

Any help would be appreciated, anything else I could try?

• The only things I could think of left to do is use a USB-ve direct cable and connect directly using the MacBook but I don't have access to the cable or use an Android device but I don't have access to one of those either.

Is this a known issue with MPPT 100/50 running v1.47 and the latest connect App (v5.73) or do I have a faulty MPPT 100/50? If it's faulty it seems odd that it's only the pairing that fails - it lists in the connect app, it knows the correct PUK code, it takes input from the PV panels and outputs to the battery etc. This sounds like a bug in the connect app unless I'm missing something.

Thanks

Les

MPPT ControllersVictronConnectBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @anteallach

Can you make a service report and attach it to a new comment here? To procedure is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nils1084 avatar image nils1084 commented ·
Hello Them can you have a look at my new postings about problems pairing and see if you can help us all resolve this once and for all as im getting nowhere connecting my 6 devices to my iPhone app… was perfect before I had a new phone
0 Likes 0 ·
anteallach avatar image
anteallach answered ·

Hi Thiemo,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is the service report as requested.

Note: Since the above report I have paired another MPPT 100/15 without issue to my system, the MPPT 100/50 still refuses to pair.

Thanks

Les

VictronConnect_report.log.zip

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @anteallach

Thanks for the service log. I however should have been more specific to make the service log after a connection attempt to the SmartSolar 100/50.

Now before making a new service log, there is one thing you can try first which I have not seen in your troubleshooting list and that is power cycle the SmartSolar by disconnecting both PV and the battery for a minute and then reconnect them (battery first). After the power cycle, try to pair using "000000" as pincode. When this does not work, please try the PUK procedure again and try to pair again with "000000". When this fails, this would be a good time to make the service log and attach it here.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

anteallach avatar image
anteallach answered ·

Hi Thiemo,

New service log attached.

Thanks

Les

VictronConnect_report.log.zip

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @anteallach

Thanks for this service log. Unfortunately this does not give a clue why it fails. It only shows that the connection between the iPhone and the SmartSolar is gone after filling in the pin code. I can see the PUK code procedure, I can confirm that the PUK code is indeed correct and thus that the PIN should be "000000" after this, and then the disconnection. You did power cycle the SmartSolar as suggested in my previous answer?

When you have the option to try this with an Android phone/tablet, then this is certainly worth a try. I can see that the bluetooth part it is running software version 2.14 and we have newer software available in VictronConnect, but this requires it to pair first. However, we have not seen this specific problem before and do not have a specific fix for this, it might be solved by other improvements in the newer software.

When trying with an Android phone/tablet is not an option, I would advise you to contact the seller to have the SmartSolar replaced. I cannot guarantee that this problem will not occur on other SmartSolars, the fact that you were able to pair with a different one on your iPhone/iPad and MacBook makes it more likely that the issue is with this specific SmartSolar than with the phone/ipad/macbook.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
anteallach avatar image
anteallach answered ·

Hi Thiemo,

I can confirm that I did follow your power cycle instruction.

Next Monday I will have access to a USB ve-direct cable so I will connect to the MPPT with my MacBook and update the Bluetooth software from 2.14 to whatever the connect app will put on it to see if that will allow it to pair. Should it still fail to pair, I will return it to my supplier.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Les

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @anteallach

Unfortunately, the bluetooth software cannot be updated via the VE.Direct interface, only via bluetooth.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
anteallach avatar image anteallach Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi Thiemo,

Thanks for this information.

I've now tried using the Victron App on an Android phone and can confirm it does the same thing as the iPhone.

• I powered down the system for 5 minutes.
  • Brought it back up (battery first)
  • Tried to pair using the android Victron App, but it failed
  • Reset the pin using the PUK code, the reset succeeded but then failed to pair with the pin code '000000'.

As suggested I will contact my supplier to arrange a return of this faulty device.

Again, thanks for your help in this matter.

Les

0 Likes 0 ·