question

minisolar avatar image
minisolar asked

SmartBatterySense midpoint voltage monitoring

Is it possible to setup the SmartBatterySense as a midpoint voltage monitor within Victron Connect? Or on the Cerbo GX?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Smart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It only has two wires, so it can only measure one Voltage.
You could connect it between negative and a middle point of a battery bank if the middle point is above 8V, so not good for a 12V battery bank for axample. This way, it would simply measure the Voltage betweeen negative and the middle point of a battery. You would need another SBS if you would like to measure the other section of the battery.
Each SBS would show up in VictronConnect as an individual device, not combined.
SBS does not show up on a CerboGX at all.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

minisolar avatar image minisolar commented ·
Hi wkirby,

I should have specified, in the system there is also a smart shunt with aux to check a midpoint. I have 4x12v arranged into 2x24v in parallel. This is connected to a 24v multiplus so maybe the multi also has a way to measure midpoint but I figured I could measure one midpoint with the aux from the smart shunt and one midpoint with the Smartbatterysense.

0 Likes 0 ·
minisolar avatar image minisolar commented ·
I can confirm, I answered my own question. I have 4 batteries arranged in a parallel series config at 24v with the mid-point of one side being measured with the smart shunt aux and the other side measured with the smart sense and it works well monitoring through the Victron connect app. (the smart sense maybe not quite as well as the smart shunt aux as that side will ring an alarm if the midpoint gets to far out of whack).
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual