screenshot-20220831-123440.jpgImage Caption

Victron MII 48/5000 GXscreenshot-20220831-123357.jpgImage Caption

Smart solar 250/100

2 x Pylontech UP5000screenshot-20220831-123208-vrm.jpgImage Caption

screenshot-20220831-123125-vrm.jpgImage Caption

5 kwp of panelsscreenshot-20220831-122954-vrm.jpgImage Caption

no battery monitor

installed a few days ago.

for unknown reason , does not go back to 100% SOC. Stays at 98%.

Charging only via solar. off grid screenshot-20220831-122932-vrm.jpg

plenty enough sun to charge more if needed.

all relevant pylontech settings done on smart charger but it does not mean much as pylontech BMS takes over ( external control).

As a result, I notice a cell imbalance when fully charged.

and see charge is mainly bulk, no absorb, little float

So I don't know where to change something to improve the situation and make sure the system goes back to 100% SOC....

Any idea

MPPT ControllersPylontechSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

For a new pack thats normal. It needs to balance. Off grid makes this more difficult as it needs time and usually on grid you could set it to keep charged.

Just let it be and try leave it at full charge as long as possible.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·
among all the similar systems we installed, it's the only one doing that. There is plenty solar power available for a very little consumption for now. strange....
0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·
@nickdb do you know how it balances? I have 8 newly installed US5000 off grid and I have each of them wired directly to the bus bar. They are networked with RJ45 but otherwise have no other cables connecting them to each other (other than the bus bar being a common connection).

Do I need to use the small positive and negative cables to connect the batteries to each other for them to "balance?"

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Herve RV Nizard

On the mppt, use the preset lithium, then tweak the voltages. The charge profile there has equalization and temp compensation. So not set up totally right.

The system if it is BMS controlled will onky charge when told to do so. And on some systems the Pylontec batteies keep themselves at 98 or 99%. Especially when "floating".

Have you followed a the required settings on the pylotec victron page for the basic offgrid?

2 |3000

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

Hi @Alexandra . thank you.

yes i followed all the victron / pylontech settings. We do install many of the configurations with Victron + Pylontech UP5000. ALL the others go to 100%.

for the mppt settings , I generally do not use the lithium preset because absorb and float are far hugjer than what pylontech requires. but anyway as you mentioned, with the pylon to victron datacable to the gx , the pylontech bms takes over.

the equalization is part of the page but off of course.

what i don't like is that due to this, i notice a larger voltage difference between cells when charging. it does not seem to balance the cells .....

i am closely following it...

thanks anyway for your input ; appreciate

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I've seen them do exactly the same thing, just on grid. It will continue to slowly charge while the gap between cells narrows.

It just depends how unbalanced they were when you got them, they don't all ship the same. a few days isn't a long time.

That isn't a particularly big cell difference.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

screenshot-2022-09-01-at-082658.png

It is normal, as per manuals.

2 |3000

Related Resources