question

rikhf avatar image
rikhf asked

Off-grid system. Energy meter needed for generator input?

Hi all,

Can a 3 phase (Multiplus II) system measure the generator input when the system is charged via ACin so it will be visible in VRM? Assuming there are no loads on the ACin side of the inverters, does it need an energymeter?

GeneratorEnergy Meteroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @RikHf

The Multis report ACIN on VRM adequately. They don't claim to be as accurate as a calibrated grid meter, but seem pretty good to me. Especially the Watts, as VRM doesn't seem to do anything with power factor.

Note though that if you actually call your ACIN 'Generator', you miss out on some of the bar/pie chart info that Grid gets. This is supposedly under further development and should arrive 'one fine day'..

I'm offgrid too, and don't miss having an additional energy meter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rikhf avatar image rikhf commented ·
Ok John, thanks for your answer. That's clear now. What I didn't think about is when a load is on the ACin, so direct driven by the genset, it will not be visible in VRM. So maybe I'll ad a meter anyway.
0 Likes 0 ·