question

sweyn avatar image
sweyn asked

Remotely switch Battery Protect on and off through VRM

I can control my Multiplus through the VRM and a GX LTE whilst away from my boat which is great, but i would also like to control other loads that are fed through a battery protect.

Is there a way to do this?

VRMBattery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Assuming that is the discharge enable pin, why not?

Run the yellow wire through the COM and NO relay contacts.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image sweyn commented ·
I’ll give it a try. Can’t see how it can hurt anyway.

Still have BMS protection assuming that the ATD signal requires a circuit to switch it on.

0 Likes 0 ·
sweyn avatar image sweyn sweyn commented ·
It works!

Nice and simple in the end.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like 1 ·
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Those devices are connected to the GX. There is no way to connect the BP to the GX via VE.Direct or other communications method.

There is a remote switch:

1661484565603.png

It would be cumbersome and very manual, but if you had a BMV-7XX with a relay, you could open and close that relay with VictronConnect accessed through VRM, but you would have to play with the settings each time, i.e., it's normally closed, but you'd open it when SoC drops below X. You would have to change X to be above the current SoC to make it work.

I suspect that you could also program Relay 2 on a Cerbo GX by spoofing the temperature to get it to turn on and off by changing the temperature above or below actual.

Neither solution is remotely elegant. There may also be wifi based relays that could open close via a phone app completely outside the Victron ecosystem.

Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will come along with a better solution.

1661484565603.png (86.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks.

It seems a real pity to not have this as an obvious requirement.

I can turn it on and off through Victron Connect if I am within Bluetooth range, so why not through VRM?

I want to be able to turn on various things like the fridge or heater a few hours before I go to the boat but don’t want to leave the 12V system live all the time.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I can control relay 2 on my Venus via the VRM app.

Same for the Cerbo?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, I can.

Could I simply route the control wire (yellow) from my Smart BMS through relay 2?8d4c9169-a9fc-426b-8612-5ee799c497cc.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan avatar image
Alan answered ·

i read you can now

2 |3000