question

finalman avatar image
finalman asked

What Amp Settings to Switch to Float...

What setting makes the Victron smart solar charge controller on the same smart V.E network as a smart shunt exit absorption at under a specified tail current (end amps).

My setup:

1. Four 150/35 smart solar CCs in parallel to each other.
  2. Smartshunt.

Basically I want to send all CCs from absorb to float at say under 5 amps going through the shunt and into the battery. What setting/s do I set to make this happen.

This is probably really easy answer but I've just confused myself thinking about it.

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Do you have, by any chance, a GX device such as a Cerbo in your system?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@finalman

Tail current is set as a percentage. This will trigger the float or charged status.

So whatever the percentage 5A is of your bank.

Absorption does not usually take alot of amps, so sometimes you also need to set the charged voltage correctly as well.

And the VE Smart network. Or a GX.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@finalman @Alexandra

Let's not confuse the Tail setting between the shunt's and mppt's. The Tail in the mppt is a separate function used solely to override the Absorb time (either Fixed or Adaptive) set in the mppt. It is indeed set as Amps.. the mppt doesn't know the size of the battery, so % is irrelevant. Nor does it need a Charged V to be set, it will work when the mppt is actually at Absorb V (not when V has faded down a little and still reported as being in Abs).

You should just need to set your 5A in both mppts, nothing else needed. It's a great feature and works well for me. But I haven't tested it with more than one mppt, so can't say for sure whether one might drop to Float and the other(s) continue on attempting to reach Abs V (in the absence of the one that's reacted). In the washup though, it should work fine..

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC Not sure this is quite right. @finalman wants a total of 5A from the 4 MPPTs. For float.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@kevgermany

The 5A comes from the Smartshunt. Presumably via networking, just as it does via wire and DVCC. So the mppts ignore their own A readings (be they higher or lower) and use the 5A. It works for one mppt, I just haven't tried it with more.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC

Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·