question

eddieeagles avatar image
eddieeagles asked

Remote console not working

I have been unable to connect to remote console for some time, Used to work no problem. I have looked at all the other posts of it not working for people and none of the suggestions have worked for me (Like others).

I have a cerbo gx which is connected to an ee mini router. Password is disabled, logging is enabled, 2 way communication etc etc is all as it should be. I can connect to VRM via mobile phone, laptop, all without issue. As soon as I try remote console i get the "Failed to set up a connection to the GX device" message with the red triangle.

In the settings it is enabled on VRM, is showing online but if i go onto devices (gateway) on vrm it says remote console is enabled but not online.

I have tried resetting/rebooting, disabling password etc about a 100 times.

I can connect to it via LAN no problem via my phone or laptop using the victron connect app

Nothing has changed on my router, it just decided to stop working one day. Something reported by many others.

Please help.

remote console
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Are you using your ee mini router as a wifi hotspot, or are you connecting you Cerbo to it via a lan / usb cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
eddieeagles avatar image eddieeagles klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
just using it as normal wifi, not hotspot no cables.
0 Likes 0 ·
17 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

If you are able to connect on your local network and you are sure, as you say, that you have set VRM enabled, 2 way communication etc etc then I would be inclined to go to your VRM and delete the installation. Then reboot your Cerbo. Go back to your VRM and create a new "installation" with the VRM portal ID?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

just using it as normal wifi, not hotspot no cables.

If your wifi hotspot and GX devive behave the same as mine, once the hotspot goes flat/out of range, the GX will drop the current IP address and use a new one. Open up Victron Connect..

screenshot-2022-08-29-212519.png

My Venus is listed twice in VC, the lower listing is the Bluetooth link, the upper listing is the wifi IP address, click on this. If you dont get an IP address restart your GX device.

screenshot-2022-08-29-212321.png

The second page loads up, then click on remote console. That should open up a new window in your browser, with the remote console.

Now if the above does not help, there are still 3 other access options.

NOTE, you need a wifi connection between your viewing device and your wifi.

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

While you are looking at Victron Connect, click on the bluetooth link to your GX device, the one with the signal meter.

screenshot-2022-08-29-221418.png

Click on the cog, that will give you access to the networking page.

screenshot-2022-08-29-222912.png

You can then turn on the access point, and view the password.

You then need to do a wifi scan, and connect to the GX device.

Open up a browser, and type in 172.24.24.1 , should give access to the remote console.

Or you could hook the GX device up to a computer via a LAN cable, via the ethernet ports.

Open up a browser, and type in venus.local/ , should give access to the remote console.

20 comments
2 |3000

eddieeagles avatar image eddieeagles commented ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can connect in the ways you said but still cannot connect to the remote console when I am away from the vehicle, but I can connect to the VRM portal, see all my installations no issues, from anywhere. Will have to try the new installation and see what happens. It is not the end of the world not being able to use the remote console remotely, just annoying!
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie eddieeagles commented ·
I found that I had to open up port 81 (in addition to http port 80) on my router/firewall in order to make the remote console accessible coming in the installation from VPN over Internet. Rather than open it to the whole Internet, I just allowed a few well-known IP addresses.
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie John Leslie commented ·
FAQ section, page 94 of the Cerbo GX manual I think.
0 Likes 0 ·
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes John Leslie commented ·
Well this did not do it for me. Any other suggestions?
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie jonathan-drewes commented ·

I don't know your system or your level of experience but a few basic checks on your Cerbo/Pi to rule out some problems might be worth trying. YMMV.

If you are using Wi-Fi for connectivity, go into Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Wi-Fi Networks -> [Your SSID] and confirm it is connected with good signal strength (>50%).

1670181496472.png

If not Wi-Fi but Ethernet, similarly confirm it is connected & has been assigned an IP Address.

Scroll down on this page to 'IP Address' and take note of your Cerbo's assigned IP address. From a laptop connected to the same Local Area Network (LAN) segment as the Cerbo, open a command prompt (cmd.exe on Windows or Terminal on MacOS) and type

ping [your cerbo IP address]

using the IP address value you looked up for your unit. If connectivity is good, you should see a response that looks like

64 bytes from [Your Cerbo IP Address]: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=6.933 ms

If you do not get a good ICMP ping response, then your problem is with basic network connectivity to the Cerbo, not the Cerbo remote console feature.

If no network connectivity, first try rebooting the Cerbo using the Settings -> General -> Reboot menu option. Otherwise, general network troubleshooting should be researched and explored until you can ping the Cerbo from the local LAN segment.

Once you have confirmed local LAN connectivity for the Cerbo, go into your Settings -> Remote Console and make sure that Enable on LAN is turned on.

1670181134263.png

Maybe also temporarily disable a remote console password if you had one set.

After you have confirmed basic network connectivity, attach a laptop to the same LAN segment as the Cerbo and use a browser to navigate to

http://[Your Cerbo IP Address]

and see if the remote console comes up. If you can access the remote console locally but not via a remote WAN, then the problem lies in the firewall or network routing of your network setup from the local LAN out to your remote WAN access environment(s) and not the Cerbo itself.

If not, try rebooting the Cerbo using the Settings -> General -> Reboot menu option.

If you are in a private, non-enterprise router networking environment, you can try restarting your router/network equipment. If you are in a shared environment that might not be practical.

If it was working, suddenly stopped working, does not come back after a reboot and basic networking is confirmed functional, most often it is because someone changed something in your network environment and the law of unintended effects kicked in despite being absolutely, positively no way it could be related sure that the change is relevant. I suggest you continue your investigation by looking closely at what changed recently and perhaps see if you can roll that back (no matter how improbable it may seem) & re-test.

0 Likes 0 ·
1670181496472.png (81.4 KiB)
Thanks for the help John!

Ping is there, enable over LAN is enabled etc. RC works over bluetooth and over LAN via IP address, just not through VRM.

What has changed recently is swapping a Cerbo with a Cerbo -S model. I think that is when this started. The new Cerbo settings are the same as the last unit but I did use the new VRM tool to "Replace the GX Device" in order to maintain the old data history. Would there be any way in which this would cause the RC not to work over VRM ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Well that is some progress. I've not used the VRM migration tool myself. I think I read somewhere that the VRM Portal ID is derived from the network MAC address on the Cerbo unit (due to standards, MAC address is a globally unique number). So the VRM Portal ID of your old Cerbo and your new one will definately be different and the Portal ID is used as a parameter in the communications. So, I would next double check that the portal ID's on your Cerbo-S and on the VRM cloud website match.

vrm-a.jpg

vrm-b.jpg

If, post migration, they don't match I suspect that is a problem for you.

Also a question - post migration, do you see current telemetry data from your Cerbo-S being published to and graphed by the VRM cloud site (set the VRM publishing 'Log Interval' to 1 minute while you are troubleshooting). If not, what is the 'Connection Error' you see published on the VRM online portal page on the Remote Console?

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm-a.jpg (107.1 KiB)
vrm-b.jpg (60.5 KiB)

The portal IDs match between the unit sticker, the VRM portal, and as seen in the remote console. I have logging on at 1s intervals.

Here is the message after clicking the "Remote Console" button on VRM--

1670267669621.png

Also, I just tried completely disabling my home firewall....did not fix this.

Thanks again for the help John!

0 Likes 0 ·
1670267669621.png (13.7 KiB)
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes jonathan-drewes commented ·
I should also say that RC via VRM did work with the Cerbo (non S model) I had a few days ago with everything else the same.
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza jonathan-drewes commented ·
Have you tried "deleting" the installation in VRM? Then reboot the Cerbo and try to set up the VRM portal ID again from scratch? You will lose old data but maybe worth a try...?
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie gazza commented ·
If you try this, in the upper right corner of the Advanced page, is an icon you can use to download your raw data before deleting the old installation.
1 Like 1 ·
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes gazza commented ·

No. Wanted to use that as the last resort. Maybe its time to try it though.

-----

Tried that....NO, didnt work. :( Now I get to remake all of those advanced plots the way I like them.

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza jonathan-drewes commented ·

Sorry about that... strange that it wont work from a "clean" starting position?
Did you reboot the cerbo once you deleted the installation?

Can you connect to the Console on your local network... with venus.local/ ? If so go to VRM menu item and confirm that the VRM portal ID has not changed as well?

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes gazza commented ·
Yes, rebooted after deleting the old install. Yes, I can get to it over LAN. portal IDs match.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Is your Cerbo-S currently publishing new data into your brand new VRM instance?
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie John Leslie commented ·

Maybe worth working through the steps on this page (maybe again?). Remote Console on VRM - Troubleshooting

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
jonathan-drewes avatar image
jonathan-drewes answered ·

I have the same issue as describe in the first post. It was working a few days ago. I have all of the settings correct as far as I know.

Is there a solution?

2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

I have the same issue.

Tried re-adding it to VRM, also tried another internet connection/router. I do see the status online, no error, and have readings in VRM. Victronconnect on the phone via VRM also works, 2-way works as well (I'm able to power on/off the inverter for example)
Tried multiple browsers and devices.

2.63 firmware on a ColorControl GX, Quattro 48/8000

2 |3000

I've been trying various router setting also to no avail.

What does it take to get help from Victron on this issue?

2 |3000

John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered ·

I believe you are expected to contact your dealer as the next step. Or find a good local installer and hire them.

2 |3000

paul-f avatar image
paul-f answered ·

Hi, pretty much tried all of the above but still having the same issue as everyone else. It was working fine up until a couple of weeks ago and I have not changed anything on my setup or LAN etc.

Also should add, as per comments on another post, I have it connected via an ethernet cable to my network and accessing this way works fine.

What does that tell us?

As per Jonathon above - it would be helpful to get some input from @Victron direct on this. Sounds like a global issue.

2 |3000

John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered ·

The VRM logging = enabled is still set?

2 |3000

Yes, I have logging enabled.

I do have a "ticket" in with Victron on this through my dealer. Very slow process and they have not yet fixed it or let me know anything really. I'll update you when I do get info.

2 |3000

Craig Robinson avatar image
Craig Robinson answered ·

I had same problem found that you have to have enabled logging enabled try disabling it then re enabling it

2 |3000

Tried that again Craig.....did not fix it. Also tried toggling some of the other related settings.

2 |3000

buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt answered ·

For me it was the GuiMods!

after deactivating the remore console worked again.

2 |3000

eddieeagles avatar image
eddieeagles answered ·

I am still having the same problem and have tried EVERYTHING! I try it every few days and about a week ago it suddenly worked. Until I tried it again a few days later and back to exactly the same problem. This does seem a common problem. Is there any way to get a fix from Victron?

2 |3000

mbr89 avatar image
mbr89 answered ·

Push .... fix this !!!

2 |3000

mitchell-balsam avatar image
mitchell-balsam answered ·

Im having the same problems, but i found an error in the developer logs for the browser

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/245512/remote-console-error-in-browser-novnc-ready-native.html

noVNC ready: native websockets

2 |3000

Craig Robinson avatar image
Craig Robinson answered ·

Further update I have a test cerbo that I use for mods and updates and it works fine at the office and I know the one on site did work as we set it up in the office first to make sure it all worked, anyway took the test cerbo to the same site connected via Lan and hey presto it does not work on remote console through VRM so took it back to office and remote console works. The only thing different here is the location and the fact its going through an EE 5G mobile router top of the range it has 1 wan port and 1 lan port, cerbos connected through the LAN port via network switch all works fine when viewing on VRM Portal but no Remote Console. The other thing is that these two curbs where first registered my network router adding them to my VRM Portal. At the Same site we have another of grid installation which is somewhat older but going through a EE 4G router, don't worry tried this 4G router on the newer installation still did not work. on the older installation is a colour control GX and I first resisted that of that network which goes though a wifi repeater and have not had any issues at all. so thought would try my test cerbo and again could not access Remote Console

Now I don't want to go and get a new cerbo just to prove that first registration is key to retaining or getting remote console to work.

I may also point out that Bothe Serbs are running gui mods so I may try removing it on the test cerbo and see if that works as mentioned in this feed

2 |3000