question

Marco Nijholt avatar image
Marco Nijholt asked

Is the Maximum Amount of victron Lithium batteries in parallel really 5 sets?

Hi,

I'm asking this question because i'm trying to understand the limitations of the system.

I'm using Lynx Smart Bms in combination with Lynx Distributors using 6x LiFePO4 Battery 25.6V/200Ah Smart for 3 sets of 48V in paralel for a total of 30KwH of storage (less then half a year old)

However i like to increase my storage to 60KwH. However this requires 6 sets. According to the manual u should not have more then 5 batteries or 5 sets of batteries in parallel.

Drawing power at a lower c rating is better for the batteries as well as requiring a lesser depth of discharge daily.

Is this a BMS limitation? A current limitation? Its in the manual of the battery and not mentioned in the BMS manual, so i'm a bit confused.

Would i have to switch to different batteries/bms to make this possible?

BMSbattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I love Victron but using the Smart Lithium Batteries for ESS is way too expensive in my opinion.

With other systems like Pylontech or BYD you have a way better price per kWh.

But yes there is a limitation. As far as I know it has something to do with the signal from the batteries gets weaker with more batteries in the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marco Nijholt avatar image Marco Nijholt commented ·

I have been considering replacing the whole battery setup since doubling is almost the same price as a whole system replacement with cheaper batteries. I wish i had more knowledge about everything when the installer planned the build out. Since using the system i have researched/learned alot since my installer turned out to be not the best source of knowledge. Sucks when you want to outsource something to save time but end up spending more time than if u just did it yourself. Anyway...

What would you say are the best quality replacements options and why?

You mentioned BYD and Pylontech, what about MG?

Edit: Also, the signal doesn't really make sense, why would they then limit it to 5 batteries, or 5 sets. 5 Sets is 10 batteries. Why would it not be 10 batteris in paralel or 5 sets of 2.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic