question

yachttech954 avatar image
yachttech954 asked

Non Linear load on Generators From Victron Chargers creating Harmonic Distortion?

These days AC gensets are being used to charge larger house banks on vessels. Genset manufacturers claim you cannot have more that 20% of the load coming from non linear sources like chargers. For example the vessels we work on usually have 9kw Gensets. 20% is 1800 watts. When we charge a 30kw 48v house bank at 1800 watts this becomes an issue. Clear solution is to put a DC genset in. I am looking for any solutions to clean up the harmonic distortion created by chargers and does VE do anything special in their charger to reduce this issue?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Yachttech954

Yes, there are things that can be done in settings. And charging from AC gensets is very common on land. And usually from undersized units as well.

Enable weak ac, reduce charge current to the bank from grid charging. Or in the case of a quattro have an assistant that reduces charge current based on the input being used. The input current limit can also be used to keep a set load on as well.

I find more often it is a pump turning on and off that kicks a genset off (back emf) not the victron charging.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yachttech954 avatar image yachttech954 commented ·
Thank you for your answer I am already reducing charger capabilities I am looking to see if there any alternative to reduce the harmonics.
0 Likes 0 ·