question

Glen Carter avatar image
Glen Carter asked

Battery charging with 4- MPPT

I'm in the process of designing my RV 12V system. I will have:

• 4 - 440W solar panels (Panels are on slides, 2 on top 100% exposure, 2 bottom only producing when deployed)
  • 4 - Smart Solar MPPT 100/30
  • CerboGX/Touch 50
  • 8-10 100Ah Lithium batteries. The plan is to connect each battery to 2 or 3 - Lynx PowerIN or possibly 5 - pairs in parallel if 10 are used.
  • 500A Smart Shunt.

What is the best way to monitor/control charging? Replace the Smart Shunt with a BMV-712 and 2 temperature sensors on 2 batteries or use one Smart Battery Sense?

MPPT Controllerscerbo gxSmartShuntSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I don't think I entirely understand your point. It sounds like you already have everything you need.

"monitor/control charging."

You can access the MPPT via bluetooth and victronconnect to monitor and control charging.

You can access the MPPT via VRM and victronconnect to monitor and control charging.

Enabling DVCC in the GX permits you to set an upper charge limit without impeding the ability to provide extra current for loads.

The smartshunt will monitor the aggregate charge/discharge of the batteries. The only differences between the smartshunt and BMV-712 are the BMV has a control relay and better bluetooth range. They use the same temp sensor.

I'm not seeing why you think a BMV-712 will get you anything more than you have with the smartshunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Glen Carter avatar image Glen Carter commented ·
Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something in my setup.
0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Smart battery sense gives you only voltage reading on BT, this is not a battery monitor that can calculate SOC, it has no current measurement.

2 |3000