question

peter79 avatar image
peter79 asked

Faulty device workarounds

I have 3 multiplus units, one of them refuses to start causing the remaining 2 also not starting. Is there option to configure the Victrons to ignore the one not starting unit?

Originally they have been in 3 phase ESS configuration, this configuration has completely turned off after first failure.

I tried also following configurations:

- 2 phases, but I need to put somewhere the not starting inverter otherwise it will not save, so I put in phase 1

- 1 phase with 3x AC in

- 3 phases without group, ESS replaced with AC disconnect virtual switch

- tried to leave the not starting unit in 'unconfigured' but this configuration can not be even saved

In all above configurations none of inverters start. I would like to ask for advice how to make at least one multiplus start.

1. Is there option to tell the system to 'ignore' certain unit?

2. In case the configuration is independent (e.g. 1 phase 3x AC in) is there option to allow continue operation in case one unit is not starting?

My system: 16x IBC solar 450 Wp, 3x Victron Multiplus 5000 (three phase setup), 2x Victron MPPT 250/70, 1x BYD LVS 4kWh, 1x Victron color GX

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargermultiplus ve.busVEConfigure 3multiplus in parallel
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peter79 avatar image peter79 commented ·

I found very interesting video https://youtu.be/4SXtGIx0x5w where Johannes Boonstra in 16:59 is stating that "We had the inverters named after what they can handle in 30min, that means if you have a 5 kilowatt unit you can not use it 24/7 at 5 kilowatt because the unit eventually will heat up, so if you have a 5 kilowatt unit you can use it for 30 min under normal ambient temperature."

In datasheet is prefix Cont. used which does not lead me to the idea that 5000W is maximal output for 30 min. What is max output for 24/7? What indicates the prefix Cont (I was thinking continuous)?

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp peter79 commented ·

@peter79

It is not 5kW cont but 4kW. The 5kVA is not the same as 5kW unless it is only resistive load.

You can use at that load as long as you keep it at 25C.

screen-shot-2022-08-14-at-71348-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@peter79

Turn OFF notstarting unit.

The other two can be set up as split phase 120 deg.

Third phase connect directly to grid.

You can also configure the working ones as a parallel system and connect all three phases together at the ac-out of this parallel system. Power from grid will be taken only from one phase. No three phase loads cannot be active.

Make sure that you follow all the rules for the parallel system.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

What exactly is the turn OFF?

What I was doing today after each config change was all below steps repeat for each letter, if no letter is given the step was done for all letters. Non starting unit is V1, other inits are V2 and V3:

1. Power off V1

2. Power off V2+V3 and let all off at least 10sec

3a. Power on V1

3b. Power on V2

3c. Power on V1

4a. Power on V2+V3

4b. Power on V3

4c. Power on V2+V3

5c. Wait for stable light choreography on V1, turn off V1

All 3 sequences tried for each setup from first post and always reasultes in not starting.

For on/off it was done by switch on front of Multiplus.

V1 has disconnected AC in and AC out, battery connected. V2 and V3 normally connected.

0 Likes 0 ·

@peter79

What is it you want to achieve?

If one unit is broken just take it of the wall and send it for repair.

The two that are left you can configure the way I described using VE.Bus System Configurator.

0 Likes 0 ·
peter79 avatar image peter79 marekp commented ·

I want to achieve situation that V2 & V3 will start and V1 will be dismounted or just sitting there in error state, I do not mind about V1.

Problem is somehow V2 and V3 "rememeber" V1. In VE.bus config I'm not allowed to delete this unit and if I leave it unasigned config can not be saved. If I assign somewhere the other units "miss it" and do not want to start.

0 Likes 0 ·

@peter79

Did you, at any time, use VE.Bus System Configurator?

0 Likes 0 ·
peter79 avatar image peter79 marekp commented ·

All the settings described in my initial post have been created and applied via VE bus configurator.

0 Likes 0 ·

@peter79

Take the faulty unit of the wall and send it for repair if you are confident that it is broken.

The two remaining units connect with VE.bus RJ45 cables and using "VE.Bus Configurator" set up as split phase 120 deg.

The third phase connect directly to your loads.

This way two phases will have backup and the third one will not.

If you have any 3-phase loads keep them OFF when grid is gone.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@peter79

If the three are connected by comms in any way, the system will not start up if one has a fault.

Unless you need three phase power for example say a three phase pump, units can stay in standalone mode, one in each phase.

If you are using ess then you will need a GX and a separate battery for each one. If you can't separate them then as marekp said configure them to split phase 120° out. This obviously means one phase no longer has backup.

The non working one needs to be sent for repair. Does it switch on at all? Or invert?

1 comment
2 |3000

If I undetstand you right. In case of one wrong unit, whole dystem is down unless physicallly disconnecting the unit - can you confirm?

The only led on is overload. Thanks to this forum I have learned that the led is in reality "unknown error" but labeled "overload".

0 Likes 0 ·