question

Daniel Swaab avatar image
Daniel Swaab asked

Battery voltage not increasing/stuck while charging bulk

I'm installing a new system for a van build. Trying to do a full charge of the battery, but it seems the charging gets "stuck" (battery voltage varies ~0.1 up and down) after ~5 minutes or so. The charger stays in bulk mode. I've turned it on and off a couple of times and changed some settings, without any success.

Things I'm trying to understand:

• First of all, what can be wrong?
  • Additionally:
    • How can there be a high charge current, but a battery that isn't charging? Is it bad for the battery or charger to leave this on?
    • Is this decrease in cell voltage normal?
    • Does the setting "charged voltage" in the smartshunt have any effect on the charging process, and is 13.2 correct for a lithium battery?

What happened

Initially, the battery was 13.1v. Did a charge with the standard lithium setting. The battery got to 13.42, and stopped charging. Then went to inverter mode. The next day turned the system back on, and it went to charging in bulk again. First started noticing cell voltages didn't increase. Additionally, the battery voltage seemed too low (should go up to 14.2 right?), so I started tweaking the settings and turning the system off and on in the hope to solve it.

What I'm noticing each time:

1. Before turning it back on, the cell voltage has dropped back to ~3,34 (there are no loads connected to the system)
  2. I turn the system on, first minutes seem well, voltage is steadily increasing, the charger doesn't make a lot of noise yet, status is bulk mode
  3. After ~5 minutes the charger starts making more noise, and the battery voltage goes ~0.02 beyond the last highest voltage and then stays there.
  4. After ~20-30 minutes, battery voltage seem the be fluctuating 0.01 increase/decrease in battery cells, still bulk charging
  5. I check the charge current and voltage through the smartshunt. Voltage is 0.5 higher than battery, charge current at max 35a. The battery temp is normal (around 30 degrees Celcius)

Here are some screenshots from the battery status during one of the tests:

unnamed.png

Components currently installed:

• Victron Smart Litium battery 330 Ah, updated to last firmware
  • Victron SmartShunt, updated to last firmware
  • Victron Multiplus 800/12/35, updated to last firmware
  • Victron VE.bus bms
  • Victron Gerbo GX

Some system images (wiring diagram at the end of page):

img-20220813-093844-568.jpgimg-20220813-093847-391.jpg

img-20220813-093857-129.jpgimg-20220813-093902-760.jpg

Settings

Battery

screenshot-20220813-092225.png

Smartshunt

screenshot-20220813-092328.png

Multiplus

whatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-92941-am-1.jpegwhatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-92941-am.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-92949-am.jpegwhatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-92950-am.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-92955-am.jpegwhatsapp-image-2022-08-13-at-93002-am.jpeg

Wiring diagram

system-design.png

battery chargingsmart lithium
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Daniel Swaab

First thing to do is to check battery settings of your shunt settings. Charged voltage needs to go up to 14.0V. It does not affect charing, but it does affect the synchronisation of the shunt to 100% once all parameters are met.

Secondly disable the battery monitor in the MultiPlus.

Third thing to check is MultiPlus parameters for the VE.Bus BMS in the GX device. From the charger settings in the MultiPlus I'm not entirely sure the BMS is recognised. It's missing the VE.Bus BMS option. It should have been automatically set to VE.Bus BMS if everything is correctly configured, and without setting up the VE.Bus BMS assistant.

This is what it looks like in a properly configured VE.Bus BMS system. The "Configured for VE.Bus BMS" and battery type option, see red rectangle, appears automatically and is then enabled by default:

bildschirmfoto-2022-08-14-um-102434.png

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniel Swaab avatar image Daniel Swaab commented ·

@Stefanie Thx for your quick reply! :)

Adjusted the charged voltage, disabled the battery monitor in the multiplus, and confirmed that the BMS settings where correct.

Multiplus continued into the next charge phase, and after a while indeed fully charged and balanced the cells.

Thx for the help!

1 Like 1 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Daniel Swaab commented ·
Glad it is working now. Thanks for the feedback :-)
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic