question

spikemixture avatar image
spikemixture asked

Shunt BT range

Greetings,
Has anyone found a gadget/booster/extender that can extend the BT range of the SmartShunt. I have mine connected to a Solar system in my carport and cannot even get to the house 10 feet away.

SmartShuntBluetooth
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ashrun4fun-1 avatar image ashrun4fun-1 commented ·

I have the same problem on our boat. I can pick up the smart dongle and the dc/dc chargers pretty much anywhere on the boat (47' boat) but have to be very close (within 5 feet) to pick up the smart shunt...kind of defeats the purpose imo.

0 Likes 0 ·
spikemixture avatar image spikemixture ashrun4fun-1 commented ·

Yep I agree.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
jerothle avatar image
jerothle answered ·

Is there such a thing as a "bluetooth repeater" or router that could send bluetooth over IP (Internet Protocol)?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I was looking for something like this. I've found extenders designed for TV use, but not tried one.

0 Likes 0 ·
spikemixture avatar image
spikemixture answered ·

I too, want to get a longer range from my smart shunt !

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

I use a BMV 712, better coverage (BT transmitter is in the display, not on the shunt). You could try a BT dongle on the Ve.Direct interface to move the transmitter to a less shielded place...

BT is a short proximity protocol, not designed for long range transmissions.

2 comments
2 |3000

ashrun4fun-1 avatar image ashrun4fun-1 commented ·

I agree that BT is a short proximity protocol but the DC/DC chargers that sit right next to the shunt are able to be read from my helm but not the "smart" shunt?

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The later versions of the protocol go to much longer distances than the original spec. But like any radio transmission the distance is much shorter if it has to go through a wall or if there's metal in the way.

0 Likes 0 ·