question

rockland avatar image
rockland asked

Phoenix MultiPlus charging batteries when Air Conditioning Runs

I have an older Phoenix Multiplus Inverter charger 12/3000/120v. I am connected to shower power. When the air conditioning cycles on the batteries are getting charged (bulk, abs ect) which is seemingly over charging them. I thought when shore power was connected the inverter/charger is bypassed. It seems like the inverter is running off of the batteries and charging them when there is an AC load. Or is this part of a battery assist when the air conditioning starts? Any help here would appreciated!

thank you.

rocky

Phoenix Invertershorepoweraircondition
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If the shore power can not supply the load, the Multi will go into assist mode and supplement shore power with battery power. A short duration load requiring assist (for example when starting your air conditioner) could drain the batteries slightly, then when the load reduces the shore power could be sufficient to supply the load plus some battery charging. I've seen this with my Multi Compact with an input current limit of say 10 amps after running my coffee maker.

If the Multi's charging parameters are set properly, it will not overcharge your batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rockland avatar image
rockland answered ·

Thanks Kevin! Maybe that is what is going on. I saw over 100 amps being drawn on the battery monitor. It does arrive at FLOAT fairly quickly and the charger seems to be set to the correct charging specs for lead acid but I have no way to actually program it. The dipswitch instructions I have seen dont work for this model and the victron config app crashes every time it says receiving data. Actually bought a pc laptop just for this. Starts to work the MK2 and then just sits there every time. Nothing with Mk3. Redownloaded/ drivers ect ect . it is an older Family Group 1839149.HEX. Any ideas on this? I would love to know I can program for Lithium in the near future. Noone has yet been able to help me out with this.

thank you!!

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
I haven't had any issues with VEConfig with the MK3. I run Win 10 under Parallels on my Mac laptop. Didn't need any special drivers if I recall correctly. I think it works with Victron Connect on the Mac or Android tablets but not iOS devices.

Sorry I can't be of more help getting this working for you.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic