question

Brian Brown avatar image
Brian Brown asked

Historical VRM data after MPPT swap

My dealer doesn't know the answer to this question. I'm hoping someone here does. I had to swap a MPPT RS 450/100 with the another. I have about ~3 months worth of data for the original MPPT. The old unit still appears on the device list, but I'd like to remove it. I would like to keep the historical data from the original MPPT, especially the solar production and consumption totals. If I remove the old device, will I lose the historical data in VRM?

VRMmppt rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Brian Brown,

There is a confirmation dialogue box when you click to delete a device from the device list that explains the behaviour;

cleanshot-2022-08-09-at-111005.jpg

The graph data remains available.

I think that answers your question, but if it doesn't please feel free to clarify further.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Brian Brown avatar image Brian Brown commented ·

Thank you Guy for the response. One additional question I have. I see in the database (XLS files download from VRM) the old MPPT RS is instance 0 and the new MPPT RS is instance 1. Since the defective device doesn't exist anymore (sent back to Almere, Netherlands for evaluation) I'll never be able to "reconnect" it. This means I'll never be able to use the Advance tab Widgets in VRM to show graphs for that device, which I'm ok with. I'm hoping the solar production and consumption totals for instance 0 (in addition to instance 1) will be preserved in the VRM Dashboard totals for example.

I've read in "VRM Portal - Frequently asked questions" under "For how long is the data being stored?" it says:

The data shown in the advanced tab is being stored for at least 6 months, with exception of Battery state of charge.

The data used to show the solar yield and the consumption tab (kWh data) is stored 5 years minimum.

Will the data from MPPT instance 0 be included in the solar yield and consumption totals for 5 years if I delete the device?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Brian Brown commented ·
Hi @Brian Brown,

The data from your old MPPT RS will still be available, and selectable, in the Advanced data tab for the same 6 months as all the other data stored there. Deleting it from the device list does not remove the data used for graphing.

The data from the old MPPT used in solar yield and consumption totals will also remain for the 5+ years if you delete the device from the device list.

Deleting the device is just to clean up the device list - it does not remove the data it is has stored in the system for graphing purposes.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Brown avatar image Brian Brown Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks Guy. I deleted the old device from the device list. FWIW, if there are no existing widgets for the old device, you can't create new widgets for the old device, even though the data is still there, if the device is no longer on the device list. I don't see any way to add it back.
0 Likes 0 ·