question

jerrad-roberts avatar image
jerrad-roberts asked

12/12/30 Dc to dc charger Fuse

So I don't have a wiring diagram but I ran wire from (+) alternator and (-) main battery to a connector in my truck bed. Then on the 5th wheel i have a connector going to the Victron charger. Then I go from that unit to a victron bus bar and smart shunt with a 60 amp fuse.

I thought everything was working find but took the 5th wheel out on our first trip and the 400 ah batteries only ran my fridge and AC for about an hour or so, which I guess would be normal if they were not getting any charge. Luckily the campground was not far so when we got there I looked and the dc to dc fuse was "blown". I am still learning about these slow fuses because they will show blown one minute and next minute they are fine?

Do I need a stronger fuse in there since its direct from the alternator? I tried to find which was better alternator or battery hook up and it seem if i went battery i had to install something that would shut off when the car isn't running, so thought it was easier to just hook it to the alternator.

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
dc4me avatar image
dc4me answered ·

First all circuit protection is rated for the ampacity of the wire. Second is you should be connecting to the starter battery instead of the alternator. That might be your problem. There are options you can set with the Orion to start charging (output voltage, ignition on). They are listed in your manual. Be sure your wire from the starter battery is of correct size and it has the right circuit protection for the ampacity of the wire as well as the output wire of the Orion charger to the battery you are charging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Fuses vary in quality and can blow early. Also the charger can at times output more than 30A. I'd try going a little higher on the fuse

2 |3000

Related Resources