question

maintenanceman avatar image
maintenanceman asked

Big ole batteries

I recently acquired some big batteries.

They are 2v cells the weigh 350 lbs a pice and have a amp hour rating of 2515. They all hold the proper volts .I have yet to do a specific gravity test.

I know where they came from and have just been maintained. All signs point to the possibility of these batteries serving me well. I have 14 of these batteries and more are available but I need to find a way to charge them properly.

Do I need a charger that has an charge output amperage that is 10% of the batteries capacity?

Do I need 250 amps worth of charging to fully utilize the capacity and life?

They are Power Safe brand . G series

lead-acid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
xxn5ac avatar image
xxn5ac answered ·

Generally, there is no minimum charge level for batteries, only a maximum so no, you do not have to have a 250A charge.

The real challenge will be how much you will deplete them and how much time to have to get them back up to 100%. For example, let’s say your use case is for a UPS for periods when your electricity fails and you need around 10kWh of power when that happens based on your loads and the estimated outage. Then let’s say you have them in a 24V configuration and you can charge them at a 50A rate. Then you will need something like 8h20m to charge them. If you experience an outage like this once a week, you’re set.

If, on the other hand, you do the same math and find it takes you 10-days to refill the batteries and you need them every other day for that amount, then you need more current to charge them.

Does this math make sense?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic