question

roachmon avatar image
roachmon asked

Need additional BMS with Battleborn Batteries?

Hi there!

I'm installing a 300ah electrical system in a van. I typically use all Victron components and batteries, using the VE Bus BMS, which I have the Orion tied into the charge disconnect.

The batteries I am using are BB10012, which have their own internal BMS, and obviously no M8 connectors. I still need the charge disconnect functionality of the VE Bus BMS and the Cat5 connection for the 'remote display' GX Touch 50.

I'm not quite sure which BMS, or other part, to use in this situation.

Thanks for helping out!

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

you cannot use the VE.BUS BMS without Victron smart batteries, and you do not need it, as the BB have their own brain and muscles to disconnect if they feel offended by too much current or deep discharge or overcharging or out of balance or over temperature...

They just quit the job without further notice leaving the system in limbo. This disconnects can kill electronic components, alternators, charge controllers - so better set up and monitor your system to avoid disconnects by any means.

You can use a BMV or smart shunt to monitor the SOC and get early warnings in many cases, but this is not a 100% solution, the batteries still can disconnect unexpectedly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.