question

choicelocks avatar image
choicelocks asked

Problem connecting mk3 interface easy Solar2 gx com port not found?

We tried downloading mk3 driver but couldn’t and tried help suggestions. I see in other answers advice to disconnect gx but how is it possible when built in to easy solar. The inverter is connected to power from pylontech which has 3 led state of charge showing. Inverter is turned on. Display screen on inverter is operating. we have a password which opens interface and interface is connected with victron manufactured rj45. Just not detecting com port

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

I am not an expert on the MK3 but I do have and use one, occasionally.

The COM port of this equasion is not likely to be anything to do with the connections on the Victron end of things. My MK3 has never auto detected the com port under Windows 10 or 11 and I suspect, in my case, it is because I have a load of other programs that use serial drivers installed.

Befoer you go too deep open windows device manager and plug in the MK3.
You should see a new USB device pop up and it will either be asociated with a new vertual COM port or it will have a yelow triange on it telling you that Windows dos't know what to do with that device, IE it needs a new/different driver.

Once you have a COM port asociated with the MK3 you can select that manually in VE Config 3.
However note that if the com port is a big number it may not be available to all programs, it depends how the com port has been handeled in the underlying code. I do not know if this is a thing in VE Config but if it is and if it is your problem just assign a different port number to the device in using the properties window from device driver. Pick something you are not currently using but dont worry about conflicts with kit you are not going to connect at the same time.

My Easy solar, old version, has a CCGX which I have never had to unplug to use the MK3. The CCGX stops responding but that isnt an issue.

If you do need to unplug it you should be able to do that the inverter end of the VE.Bus cable, where you are, presumably, connecting the MK3

Also note that you can get/load config files, that you edit in VE Config, using your GX and the VRM portal. Just make sure the GX isnt powered by the AC out, which it shouldnt be on an easy solar system.
Ideally your internet connection should also stay on if the inverter shuts down but it isnt a requirenment as the file is fully downloaded to the GX before being sent to the device you are updating.

If the network drops, because the inverter restarted and cut it off, you will have to dismiss the 'uploading' window in VRM which will hang, but the update is applied by that point anyway. Dont restart the upload if it asks you to.

Al

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

choicelocks avatar image choicelocks commented ·
Thank you for taking the time to answer I will try these suggestions tomorrow and let you know what happened.
0 Likes 0 ·
choicelocks avatar image
choicelocks answered ·

We have tried these suggestions but no new com found. Where do we turn for help when we end up in this situation. Is there a helpline for victron uk or do we have to go through our supplier?

2 |3000

Related Resources