question

numer0-6 avatar image
numer0-6 asked

Absorption and float LEDs flashing simultaneously on MPPT150/70, batterie not charging

Hi,

I'm setting up a SmartSolar MPPT150/100 to charge batteries with solar panels. Here is my configuration :

-2 arrays of 3 solar panels each (Voltec 385W, Voc = 43.3V each panel)
-2 packs of 12V batteries in series (so 2x 24V batteries)

I've got the Absorption and Float LEDs flashing simulatenously, and the batteries are not charging. I checked the manual and it indicates "Charger or panel over-voltage". I measured the voltage coming from the solar panels and it never exceeded 115V (which is less than the maximum PV voltage).

What could be the cause of this error ?

Thanks in advance.

MPPT ControllersSolar Panelsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Numer0_6

It is a Smart Solar so connect to it with Bluetooth and use victron connect.

It will tell you what is going on directly no codes.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

numer0-6 avatar image numer0-6 commented ·

Hi alexandra,

We did what you suggested and noticed the the MPPT was configured to feed 12V batteries, where it's been hooked to 24V packs. Reading the manual, I understood it was supposed to be auto-detected, but apparently it wasn't. Switching it to 24V apparently solved the problem !

Thanks for the answer, hope this can help others ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp numer0-6 commented ·
@Numer0_6

Auto-detect works only with the first installation.

If MPPT was already connected before to 12V battery it will stay at that setup.

0 Likes 0 ·
numer0-6 avatar image numer0-6 marekp commented ·
Would be nice if that was clearly stated in the manual, but I couldn't find it ;-) Anyway, problem solved thank to all !
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp numer0-6 commented ·

@Numer0_6

It is kind of logical.

You do not want to set up your MPPT from the beginning every time battery is disconnected. :)

I agree, it should be mentioned in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
@Stefanie

Definition of "first power up" would help, or information on how the MPPT behaves when moved from one system (ea 12V) to another (ea 24V). From each user point of view it could be understood as a "first power up" in his particular system.

1 Like 1 ·
numer0-6 avatar image
numer0-6 answered ·

Connecting in bluetooth and switching from 12V to 24V batteries configuration solved the problem. It is not auto-detecting and needs to be set using the victron app.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual