question

Rob avatar image
Rob asked

ABYC E-13 Compliance for Lithium Batteries

The new ABYC standard for lithium batteries came out today. E13.5.4 requires lithium batteries or cells to meet the testing requirements of at least one of the following standards: IEC 62133, IEC 62619, IEC 62620. SAE J2929, UL1642, UL1973, or UL 2054.

I can’t find anything in Victron literature about these standards.

Does anyone know whether Victron Smart lithium batteries are or will be certified to one of these standards? I was hoping to install Victron lithium batteries on my US-flagged boat this year, but to keep my insurance I need the installation to be ABYC compliant.

Lithium Batterysmart lithium
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
cpurchas avatar image
cpurchas answered ·

I've been looking into this for a while and it seems ABYC suggests certification based on one of many various standards. Victron batteries have numerous certification badges, most seem to be aimed at the EU where the standards are arguable higher. Their batteries have IEC61427-1 certification which appears to be similar to one listed above (IEC62133).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dave-millard avatar image
dave-millard answered ·

This is an area I am also keeping close eye on, we are a marine systems installer and would love to be able to use victron batteries to compliment the rest of the victron system. Thankfully victron are happy to work with other battery manufacturers but I would love to use there products throughout the installs.

2 |3000

morganb avatar image
morganb answered ·

Did anyone get an answer to this?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic