question

tony-m avatar image
tony-m asked

How to begin from a minimal Orion alternator system

My idea is to start my camper van electrical system with an Orion 12|12 30 to charge a leisure battery using my alternator. Then (as I get more money to spend) I will add shore power and solar capabilities for a high-quality future system. So my question is what is the best minimal system that I can start with and not compromise on my future system?

Here's what I mean by minimal: for under 1000 euros I could get Orion charger, a 50Ah 12.8V 640W Offgridtec lithium battery, and a Solartronics Sine Inverter 12V to 230V 1000W 2000W Offgridtec plus the needed wiring and fuses. I know it's a small battery and that I couldn't do too much. But all I'm looking to do is get started and this is enough to run things like my Truma D6 heater and Maxxfans (which used up all my money!) and other small things as I get started.

My thought is that I would slowly add to this system, for example, larger batteries, another Orion unit so that I could charge with 60 A, and the items needed for shore power and solar. But those are not as important to me as alternator based power right now.

Am I thinking about this right? Is there something I need to watch out for so that I don't waste money in the long run? I really want to get started immediately but I just can't spend more than 1000€ right now.

I'm doing my conversion in France, on a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter with 180 amp alternator

Thanks

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Gerardo avatar image
Gerardo answered ·

Hi Tony,

My recommendation to you would be to keep eveyerthing Victron compatible. That way you will be saving time and money for future integration/commissioning.

The problem you are having at the moment is getting multiple things that could be exanded in future at a low budget.

I would go with the Orion 12/12-30, 50Ah lithium battery, BMV-712 for monitoring and basic control and the inverter. Thar would be the essential items.

Regards,

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tony-m avatar image tony-m commented ·

Yes, I definitely want to "keep everything Victron compatible" Are the ones that I listed incompatible? Or are there certain batteries or inverters that I should avoid? And is the $200 monitor you mentioned really necessary? I thought that the Victron app would do what I need. As I said I definitely want to get the Orion 12/12 30

0 Likes 0 ·
Gerardo avatar image Gerardo tony-m commented ·
Hi Tony,

The monitor is an accurate shunt with build-in relay. When properly configured, it will estimate the SOC of your battery and you can use the relay to switch off the Orion through the remote on/off switch when the battery is fully charged. Alternatevely, you could use the relay to switch the inverter off when the battery is empty.

Highly recommended to have that level of control if the battery and/or inverter are not Victron.

Regards,

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

No need for a BMV at this stage. The battery will cut the output if it is excessively discharged. Inconvenient, but no damage.

Is this an inverter, or inverter charger?

Not sure what you need AC for, but putting in a small inverter is going to be throw away money. It will flatten the battery very quickly. If it will work for you, just add a CEE input and an AC input for when you have shore power. Better putting the cash into a bigger battery.

Probably a good idea to plan and decide on future upgrades now. Putting in a small battery risks an unbalanced battery bank when you upgrade. Or you end up chucking that out.

Also get a polarity checker for the AC side and a reverser cable in case you need to correct a miswired camp site supply.

2 comments
2 |3000

tony-m avatar image tony-m commented ·

@kevgermany, thanks for helping me focus on the inverter. I see your point that a small inverter becomes useless if I upgrade the battery and other things later. So, now I'm thinking of a getting a Victron Phoenix Inverter 12/1200 instead.

I found this victronenergy page which says that I could get 614Wh using a 60Ah Victron SuperPack which has integrated BMS. This should be enough for my needs to start off with, which are not great. Along with the a Victron Orion 12/12 30 I think this will achieve a minimal system that I could grow into.

What do you think?

(By the way, I'm not interested in shore power right now, but thanks for the tips.)

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tony-m commented ·
Compare battery recommended max current to the inverter max, which will run up to 100A battery load... You only mention the 12V loads. You'll be fine if your AC loads are small. But if someone plugs in a 1000W consumer, could be an issue.

Orion. You need to balance this against alternator (which you've done), average driving time and expected total power per day, with reserve for non driving days.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources