question

komotion avatar image
komotion asked

BMS selection for Thundersky

Hello,

I am new to this site. I recently moved aboard a sailing cat fitted with a Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 that handles my AC charging (from my generator and occasionally shore power) and inverting needs. I also have a small solar array with two old PWM solar chargers. I am in the process of upgrading my solar array with 4 new Renogy 175w panels and a Victron MPPT charger and have decided to look into my batteries at the same time, since they are old AGM's that are long past their best. I was looking at drop in battery solutions until a fellow cruiser told me about the Winston Thundersky batteries. I'm a fairly competent marine engineer but the electronics of LiFePO4 battery management systems are beyond me. I have been doing a lot of research online but have yet to find a good reliable source of what additional equipment I will need to make these batteries work safely, and how to go about this installation. Victron just want to sell me their own batteries, BMS etc, and while it would be nice to have everything in matching Victron blue, they are prohibitively expensive!!! I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just want to charge my new LiFePO4's from my PV array and via the MultiPlus. My cat is light and performance oriented and we try not to motor much so I'm not even bothered about charging from my alternators at the moment. They are currently wired to simply charge my separate engine start batteries only, keeping things separate and simple. Perhaps this is something I will look at in the future. Could anyone here perhaps point me in the right direction?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

BMS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
What country are you located?
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
dunnp avatar image
dunnp answered ·

If you are in Australia, Perth based EV Power do a well-priced BMS and cell balance modules that communicate with it. I’ve been running one on a 4-cell 200AH Thundersky setup for 7yrs in a caravan.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

komotion avatar image komotion commented ·

I'm currently in Europe (though was in Oz for the last three years). When you say 4 cell 200AH, do you mean 800AH total? That's the same configuration I am anticipating using.

0 Likes 0 ·
komotion avatar image
komotion answered ·

Hi, I am in Europe at the moment.

Thanks.

2 |3000

marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Komotion

In Europe you can buy Winston cells from GWL

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-40Ah-200Ah/?cur=0

They also have BMS for it (not CAN)

https://shop.gwl.eu/Battery-Management/BMS123-Smart-Gen3-Complete-Set-4-cells-with-Bluetooth-4-0.html

There is also European REC BMS compatible with Victron

https://www.rec-bms.com/battery-management-system/

2 |3000