question

macdaddy avatar image
macdaddy asked

VictronConnect V5.71 Pairing Issues with Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (SM-X200) Running Android Version 11

Hi Everyone, I can pair and use my iphone with the VictronConnect app for both SmartShunt and BSC IP65 Charger.

However, when I use my Galaxy Tab, it works for the BSC IP65 Charger but has issues connecting to the Smart Shunt. I will pair, then go to 95% and stop then loop back to 1% and then give instructions to unpair etc.

I have enabled all permissions, deleted app, reinstalled, even tried older version of Victron Connect and no success. The same issues persist, it will stop at 95%. This is for the Smart Shunt only. The BSC charger connects and works fine on Android.

Please help.

Thanks,

MacDaddy

VictronConnect
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

macdaddy avatar image macdaddy Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you Matthias. I have attached report here. VictronConnect_report.log

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ macdaddy commented ·

Hi @MacDaddy

Thank you for the service report. Unfortunately, this did not give us the information to solve this problem. What we see is that at some point, VictronConnect is expecting a certain message from the SmartShunt, but this is never received. It could be that it is never sent by the SmartShunt (although it does work for the iphone). It could also be that due to communication issues between the tablet and the SmartShunt, it is sent, but the tablet never sees it. It could also be that due to errors in Android, the message never arrives at VictronConnect.

We will try to investigate this further, although this might take a while.

A thing that you can try is to make sure that the latest Android update is installed. Furthermore, you can try to clear the bluetooth cache. A generic description on how to do this is given here: https://help.elitehrv.com/article/135-clear-bluetooth-cache-android

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
macdaddy avatar image macdaddy Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi Thiemo,

I did a hard reset on the device and same issue.

MacDaddy

0 Likes 0 ·
macdaddy avatar image macdaddy Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi Thiemo, My tablet just had a new firmware update and I tried to pair again just now, still no good.

Any Suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ macdaddy commented ·

Hi @MacDaddy

It still has the same problem that it stops at 95%? If so, then we do not yet have a solution. If the behavior has changed, then we would like a new Service Report.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Thiemo,

Many Thanks for getting back to me. I have updated the tablet firmware and also updated the latest release of the Victron Connect app V5.73.

The same issue persists, like you say, get's stuck at 95% then repeats itself from 0 and gets stuck again at 95%. This is specifically for the smartshunt. I can connect to the BSC IP65 Charger via bluetooth on my X200 Samsung Tab A 8 Tablet.

I have no issue with Apple OS.

0 Likes 0 ·
astrayan avatar image astrayan macdaddy commented ·
This exact same problem happens with MPPT 100 50, and Samsung A8. However, it doesn't happen with my older 2 MPPTs.
0 Likes 0 ·
macdaddy avatar image macdaddy Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Can i leave it as a log file? i do not know how to paste it as a text file.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
matthiasu avatar image
matthiasu answered ·

I have the same (or at least a similar) issue with my Multi II GX.

The workaround is to go to the phone's Bluetooth settings and remove the GX. Then VictronConnect works and will connect. Once.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

macdaddy avatar image macdaddy commented ·
Hi Matthias, yes, I have tried that, reinstalled app, reformat tablet with a factory reset, updated latest android OS, even tried pairing with 123456, tried the older victronconnect software app, all no go. It works on iphone and ipad no issue. Just not working with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (X-200).
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @MacDaddy

An update on this issue: We are able to reproduce the issue and have found that this tablet does not act in accordance with the bluetooth low energy specification. We are looking into whether we can work around this problem in our firmware or in VictronConnect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

10 comments
2 |3000

Hi Thiemo,

Many thanks for your reply and I want to say, I am impressed that someone is actually looking into this matter and finding a solution to a problem I face.

Keep up the good work and look forward to a fix soon.

Best Regards,

Marc

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Thiemo, I have updated firmware to V5.75 and same issue persists. Any work around solution sorted yet?
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MacDaddy

Unfortunately, we don't have a solution yet for this problem.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MacDaddy

We have found a way to work around the problem in VictronConnect and probably will soon release a beta version via our website (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta) that should fix the issue with the Samsung Tab A8 and the Nokia G11.

At this moment it is not known when this will be integrated in an official release that will be available via the Play Store.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
astrayan avatar image astrayan Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Great. What's important to me is the instant display, so I can see all my devices simulataneously
0 Likes 0 ·
@Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) Thank you so much for following up and looking into my issue. I have downloaded and installed the beta firmware that addressed my issue and I can confirm that it is working flawlessley. I am so happy to have this work in my setup. Thank you @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) and team for your time and attention to this. Absolute Legends!

0 Likes 0 ·
Any update on this? Will there be anyway to get this to work? I know this issue is small and not pirority for the more important jobs you have to do. Just after some options here and would like to see the app work with my setup. Many thanks in advance and look forward to your reply
0 Likes 0 ·
steveplatzoeder avatar image steveplatzoeder macdaddy commented ·
Hi together,

I have the same issue with Smartshunt and Smartsolar 100/30. Phone is a new Nokia G11 with Android 11. Connecting stops at 95%. With old phone Galaxy S5 everything works. Perhaps this will help investigating: With the new phone at first I used a wrong PIN to connect, before I connected with the correct PIN.

Kind regards, Steve

2 Likes 2 ·
astrayan avatar image astrayan macdaddy commented ·
... and the same problem with new MPPT 100/50 and Samsung A8 , but not MPPTs a few years old.
0 Likes 0 ·
finally-retired avatar image
finally-retired answered ·

I have the same issue ... I can connect to the IP-22 Charger .. Shunt .. two older MPPT controllers but not to my latest MPPT 200/100 with my Samsung A8 ... My OPPO phone works perfectly on all devices any update when this is going to be rectified

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi all,

The latest VictronConnect beta (v5.90beta6) should fix the issues with the Tab A8 and the Nokia G11. This version can be downloaded here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta. This fix will ofcourse also be included in a next release. We are not sure at this moment whether this will be v5.83 or v5.90.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

@Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) Love your work. Thank you so much to you and your team for assisting me with this. 100% working now and I am so happy.

From my post above:-

@Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) Thank you so much for following up and looking into my issue. I have downloaded and installed the beta firmware that addressed my issue and I can confirm that it is working flawlessley. I am so happy to have this work in my setup. Thank you @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) and team for your time and attention to this. Absolute Legends!

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources