question

andyrlm avatar image
andyrlm asked

Overloaded Orion DC-DC converter?

I want to float a large lead acid battery at 53v from a 24v lithium battery. I had planned to use an Orion-Tr 24/48-8,5 (400 W). These are overload protected, and I assumed they adjust their output to maintain an acceptable temperature.

However I have just tried it, and the unit became very hot and stopped working. Have I completely misunderstood... do they not current limit to protect themselves?

Thanks

orion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Orions can run very hot with a heavy load. Should restart once cooled down.

How many amp/hours is the battery bank? What was the starting voltage of it.

If the bank is 200Ah or more, the Orion isn't really big enough for a float/trickle charger.

First guess is that the bank is so big the Orion runs full power for an extended period, then cuts out thinking the output is shorted. and

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
andyrlm avatar image
andyrlm answered ·

Thanks... yes, it's huge (1000Ah). Still, I had imagined (hoped) that the Orion would limit its output current to whatever it could manage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It will not even tickle that, let alone trickle charge.

You probably need at least 4% of the battery capacity as output to float that. That's 40A for 1000AH.

You can try adjusting the output voltage lower, but my guess is that you're going nowhere and risk permanent damage to the charger.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources